Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Green Sky Adventures HACman

Default Green Sky Adventures HACman

I have my kit on the work bench all laid out ready to install. I have a breakfast to fly to on Saturday so probably won't get to it till Sunday. Anyone here running it? Install looks fairly straightforward. My 582 is jetted for Sea Level and on my Idaho trip I hit 10,000ft three or four times going over the mountains. My poor engine was slobbering all over itself. EGT's were cool, power loss was evident, and my fuel computer was proving I was burning almost a gallon more an hour than I do at cruise at Sea Level. I'm looking forward to being able to lean it out in situations like that. Just curious what others who are running it thoughts were and if there were any gotchas on getting it dialed in.

Default Re: Green Sky Adventures HACman

The Hac controller in my panel. More pics of the install to come. This is as far as I got today before I decided it was too nice to be tinkering... I put the cowl back on and went flying instead...

I got to do some testing of my HAC system this morning. After doing several run ups and seeing temps I was used to I took off. Temps looked good so I started a climb to 7500ft. My field lies at 117ft. I left the control knob in full rich for my climb. Upon reaching 7500 my EGT's were right around 1000 degrees and I was burning 4.9gph at level off at 5800rpm. Previously at this altitude and power setting I was burning 5.3 so it was already doing better which I can't fully explain. I suspect it was a combination of the kit install and the rejetting the kit requires. I started turning the knob towards the lean position and immediately saw the EGT's start to go up and the fuel flow start to go down. After about 6 turns I was reading 1150 and the fuel flow had dropped to 4.1 gph. You could hear an audible change in the engine as it leaned out. I did some climb tests at full rich and then leaned and when it was leaned out I was getting almost 300fpm more climb rate so the engine was definitely making more power.

Here are my current settings.

Field elevation 117ft
    Airscrew 3 turns out
    Idler 50
    Needle Jet 2.74
    Needle 1G2
    Needle on bottom clip both carbs
    Main Jets 180 (up from 160 with the HAC kit install)

Since I'm at Sea Level I my jetting dictates how rich I can go. My midrange was running hot which is why I'm running the 2.74 needle jet and the clips on the the bottom. With the HAC you want your base settings on the rich side because you can always lean it out.

Overall I'm very happy with this kit. The next testing will take place at 10,500ft. If I can get my fuel burn down by almost one GPH at 7500 I'm sure I'll see savings in excess of that the higher I go.

Onto the install pics...

Where you tap into the factory plug on the carb

The three way valve. As you can see one end goes into the aircleaner, the middle one goes to the float chamber vents and the top one goes to the controller in the panel.

Behind the panel hooked up to the HAC controller

Looking at the carbs

The short line that connects the two inner float bowl vents

Before leaning

EGT's just over a 1000 and fuel flow 4.9 GPH

Same conditions after leaning EGT's 1150 and fuel flow 4.1gph

Overall panel shot.. 4.1 gph at 78 mph IAS and 5850rpm. On my Idaho trip I was burning 5.3gph at these same power settings and altitudes.

Pulled back the power and got it down to 3.6 gph. I was indicating 72mph IAS at this power setting. I've NEVER seen fuel flow's below 4.0 gph above 5,000 rpm EVER.

For $159 I only need to fly about 30 hours for this thing to pay for itself. Fuel costs is only one benefit..... more power and less carbon build up are a few others.

It's a simple system to operate. When I'm just flying locally I won't mess with it.. Just leave it at full rich but when I need to get over the mountains this is going to be a huge benefit.

One last thing to note on my test flight I was turning up 6600 rpm on take off up from 6300. I'm not sure what exactly caused that. I added a degree of pitch and got it back down where it was. The extra load helped to bring my midrange temps down some also.

C5engineer, thanks for posting. That is a very good explanation of the hacman. I have always wondered how it operated.

I have the Arctic Sparrow which is two cables soldered to threaded needles. It works okay but the cables have to be routed just right or they wont flop correctly when I turn the adjuster knobs.

Once in a while I get confused to how many turns I have turned each one. I think I like your system much better.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder