Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Skylight tinting

Default Skylight tinting

I had the area above my head in the cockpit tinted about two years ago with Lucar film. It has held up perfectly despite naysayers. As a result,I have a much cooler cockpit and the sun is not baking me ! I am also able to see thru it in order to look for other aircraft while manuevering in the pattern,tail chase,formation,etc. It has worked out well.
    Just an update.
    Dick
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Skylight tinting

Looks nice! I ended up using the static stuff from Home Depot, works well but probably not as high optical quality and definitely not as clean looking.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

I had the static stuff on mine also but couldn't see thru it worth a flip ! I decided to remove it and do the film myself....Big mistake ! I bought that cheap auto parts store film and I ended up with a gooey mess so I hired a professional film guy to redo it with a quality film. It was exspensive ($100) took him a good portion of the afternoon. 95 % of the work was removing the mess I had made ! He did alot of cussing but I kept him well stocked with sodas and good music as well as an air conditioned hanger in the middle of summer! He was happy.
    Dick

I spoke with LP Aeroplastics at Airventure in regard to my IV-1200 restoration. I currently have their one piece windshield/skylight, bubble doors and turtle deck window in my yellow plane. There is no way I would ever do otherwise in my restoration.

They now offer their molded Plexiglas windshield and skylight as separate pieces. This means that can be tinted in different ways (dark tint, uv block on the skylight, light tint on the windshield for example). This tinting is part of the plexi and will not peel or separate...
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Now that is the way to go ! I too will only get the tinted "glass" if I do a replacement. That is the way it was done in my other aircraft I sold prior to my Kitfox
    Dick
    Attached Images Attached Images