Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Kitfox vs. Highlander

Default Re: Kitfox vs. Highlander

Bandit,

When someone posts a question such as, “Which is better, the Kitfox or the [insert name here].” I take that as an invitation to voice an opinion. But I do so with caution.

I didn’t buy the first airplane kit I saw. Like many others I did my homework and compared different kits. I visited builders to see airplanes in various stages of construction. I looked at the manuals and poked around inside the aircraft. I finagled flights in completed aircraft.

For me, it came down to my comfort level with the kit components? Did I like the construction manual? Would I feel comfortable flying the completed aircraft? What is the track record of the kit producer for delivering the kit after you send them money? What do builders report about factory support? I saw subtle differences in the Kitfox that I found attractive such as the number of laminates in the plywood used for ribs (11) and cap strips (5). I liked the adjustable rudder pedals and pushrod controls.

As for performance, most of the aircraft I looked at were in the 90 mph to 120 mph class. All of them could operate in and out of 1000 foot runways which are about as short as I find in East Texas. Although it’s fun to leap in the air in just 150 feet and land in 300, it wasn’t my primary goal. I don’t need LSA so it was never a consideration. I did find the manufacturer’s performance numbers to be quite revealing. The Kitfox published figures are very close to what I saw in the airplane.

Some things are hard to compare when a kit manufacturer doesn’t specify a feature. For example, I see many comments about the huge Highlander baggage area at 32 cu. ft. You can build a huge baggage area in the Kitfox if you want to. The mounting tabs are pre-welded in the fuselage to employ most of the tailcone space if desired. Some builders use the extended area. I suspect most use the standard compartment.

Is the above posting an opinion? Absolutely. Is the opinion based on actual comparison? Yup! Does it convince you to buy one airplane or another? Haven’t got a clue.

For me, there is nothing like a hands on inspection before the covering goes on. You get an intimate feel for the aircraft when you can look at all the controls, rods, tubes and wires. I recommend you do the same, then form your own opinion. You decide what’s important to you.

In the end, I decided to purchase the Kitfox.

Enjoy your research project.

John Pitkin

There is a member, here on this list, with the handle Av8rPS. Paul owns several aircraft ranging from several Avid Flyers and Kitfoxes to most recently he has purchased a Just Highlander. He has flown them all on floats and wheels and is quite knowledgeable on this design class (the Avid descendants) of aircraft.

Contact Paul. He love to talk airplanes. Really...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

My advice is to just get the plane you want, looks, performance, and most important, factory support. Than go out and fly the snot out of it, be one with the airplane, than you will have fun and not look back. I love my kitfox because it's easy to fly, the only adjustment is the prop. I use no flaps, just push pull the throttle. If I want to land short, I just pull back on the throttle all the way(idle set to 500rpm), this allows me to stand on the nose and land it, if I'm not going slow enough I level out and put a bunch of rudder in, I end up flying sideways, this is much better than any flaps, I get to 70 I straighten up and land the plane, most the time I can touch down and roll out about 300ft. Why do I need any of the complexities of flaps for. My plane flies and can do what I want it without the trouble. I am one with both my airplanes and can do things with them that no body else can, why, I fly them all the time and know what they can do.

I took off from a strip the other day and on take off a blue haron came out of the weeds and went right in my path, (I was in the RV) did I freak, no way, I stayed on the runway a little longer and got my speed up, just when I thought I was clear of the bird, it was about 10ft off, it turned around and went right in my path, what did I do, I lifted off and banked hard right, missed it by about 5 feet, did it scare me, no way, I just went on my way. I thought it was cool actually. You need to know your airplane and not get caught up in, this guy says this plane is best, or that plane is the only one to have, a plane is a plane, and you make it what it is. So go out and find the plane YOU want and build it or buy it and than fly the snot out of it and enjoy it.

It all depends on the mission.. If you dont use flaps, you are not as one with the plane as you may think. I can get in and stopped in under 150' consistantly... Each plane has a different mission. Define your mission, then look for the plane that best suits that mission.

Larry gave you great advice! Talk to Paul. I doubt there are many here (if any) who have as much time in the various models from the Avid A up to the present planes as Paul does. He will give you honest answers without any brand X hype.

I've never needed to come in and stop at 150ft. so why bother.

I thought about this one a bit and here goes. If I land and don't use the brakes, which I do. Does that mean I'm NOT one with the airplane. If I go to land and turn the engine off and land without the engine, does that mean I'm NOT one with the airplane. I think you should rethink your response

I think this is a good place to end this thread
    Dan B
    Mesa, AZ