Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 670 Rotax

Default Re: 670 Rotax

I unboxed my 670 today and started the install. I will use this thread to report 670 specific item for the group

Rod Davis, Rotax Rick zero time engine. Job looks great, high quality, neatly packed, all accessories and hardware.

Mounting- standard Avid 582 brackets fit properly. Looks like it will slide in easily. Details to follow.

Weighed everything:

670 engine 89.5 lbs

Starter and housing plate 5.5 lb

Bing 54 carbs 4.0 lb (2carbs)

Dual air filter and clamps 1.0 lb

total 100.0 lbs

Are going with oil injection or premixing?

Sorry for asking you again I get confused jumping between forums.

What type oil was advised by Rick for Rotary Gear lubrication ?

TY2068,
    I don't know about R Rick but everyone I know just uses a 2 stroke oil for rotary valve and water pump shaft lubrication. I don't believe this is a high wear area.
    Dave

The oil lube has the same basic reservoir at the top, and the engine was shipped with that system primed and full.
    The oil mixing pump was disabled, and Rick makes mixing (at 40:1) a term of his warranty. That means I get back a ton of space behind the dash when I pull the oil tank.

Rick requires Amsoil Interceptor or Quicksilver PWC oil at 40:1

I have the engine mounted now and intend to make all the connections today, oil, throttle, fuel, and begin mounting the radiators. I plan to add a belly radiator for summer cooling, and have a blocker plate that is cockpit controlled for cooler seasons.

Can you verify if small Rotary valve supply bottle was filled with 2-cycle pre-mix oil or 30w motor oil. I was told that Rick advises using straight 30w motor oil for Rotary Shaft-Gear lubrication. You may want to verify what's in the RV lube bottle.

I have no idea what "I was told" means, and no I will not verify for you anything.

On his web site, and in the instructions Ron Davis insists on the premium oil types and brands that I just posted. Why is the internet full of people who would believe "I was told?" and apply it to someone's reputation?

What is your angle, TY2068?

WOW ! OK pheww...anyway I will refer you to this thread where "it was posted" "and I was told" that Rick documented where new engines (582's) were being shipped from the factory with 30W motor oil in the RV lube system. It was said Rick now uses 30W in ALL his 582-670 rebuilds ? I was just wondering if that was in-fact the case with your freshly rebuilt 670.

http://www.teamkitfox.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=7106

TY2068,
    It is interesting that Rotax would use a different oil in the RV shaft circuit for the aircraft engines. My 582 ran 700 hours. I bought it with 216 Hours and only replenished or refilled with 2 stroke oil. Injected Skidoo snowmobiles use the same tank for injection oil and RV shaft oil. I converted one of my 670 snowmobiles to premixing and had to add the RV shaft oil reservoir. And yes I filled it with 2 stroke oil.
    Dave

Company's like Amsoil Make actual rotary valve oil I personnel would just stick with something like that. If it holds together that should make a fun engine/Plane combo
    TJay Larsen

M1 Custom

Jabiru 2200 85hp