Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tail surface rib stitching

Default Tail surface rib stitching

I am getting ready to start covering my tail feathers over the holiday and have a question about rib stitching the tail feathers. How is everyone finishing their tail feathers? Is stitching required/needed? I plan to stitch the wings just wasn't sure about the tail feathers.
    Any guidance/thoughts are appreciated!

Regards
    Jeff

Default Re: Tail surface rib stitching

I put a couple stitches on mine over each of the forming ribs. Just because the mood struck me to do so. No other reason. Modified model IV, with short ribs only on the fixed horizontal and vertical surfaces.

I don't believe stitching the tail is a mandatory thing.

IMO.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Jeff,

I did not rib stitch for the Vertical stabilizer, rudder or horizontal stabilizer; however I did put stitches in the elevator.......personal preference based on the "flat" surfaces of the elevator.

Sincerely,

Dave S
    KF7 Trigear
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN
    Attached Images Attached Images

I did not stitch any tail surfaces but did do the wings.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Thanks for the inputs!

One other question - What are you-uns using for a heater core??
    I plan on using two 12v PC power supply fans hooked to a dimmer with an off switch to move the air around.

I decided to go with Stewart Systems for my "skin". Painting isn't a bad thing to know how to do! Besides, the project came with a roll of Poly Fiber.

Regards
    Jeff

Jeff,

I purchased the standard heater core with my kit.....I believe Kitfox still carries these - they have all the hardware & muffin fans that goes with it. The earlier S7 Kitfoxes ran barb fittings straight through the firewall to connect to the core. I believe Kitfox now has a kit which runs hoses through the firewall and AN 180 degree connectors under the panel.

I have to say I like your idea of controlling the muffin fans for the heater....wish I had done that as mine is either on or off and unless it is darn cold outside, I have to keep switching it off and on to keep from frying.

This is a "some day" project for me.....somehow I will eventually retrofit fan controllers to moderate the heat when it isn't really bad cold outside.

Sincerely,

Dave S

Kitfox 7 Trigear
    912ULS Warp drive

St Paul, MN

I also used the Kitfox optional heater kit with two 12v PC fans. I wired them up (as shown in the kit) so a SPDT switch either runs one fan or both fans. Very simple and after using it thru two winters I find that this "two speed" control is very satisfactory; no need for variable control. I also do not have any shut-off valve in the heater coolant line and find that even on a hot summer day (98 F) with both fans OFF there is no appreciable unwanted heat coming into the cockpit. I like the KISS principle.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Does anyone have a picture or specs/dimensions of the heater core? I am guessing it is a repurposed oil or transmission cooler. I have the fans already. Figure I can find a similar part for a whole lot less than the factory part.
    The $$ I save will be going to an aluminum header tank!

Thanks
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by jmodguy View Post
    Does anyone have a picture or specs/dimensions...
    Jeff, I think you are correct on the heater core. Mine is an oil cooler core - Earls I believe. These are available everywhere in multiple brands. The early models used to use the Earls oil coolers - not sure what is used on the 7s. My muffin fan has three wires that provide for a high and low speed. I found that I had to connect the high speed circuit to the first contact on my rotary switch because connecting the low speed wire to the first contact provided insufficient voltage to start the fan from rest. If I want low air flow, I turn two clicks right. The first click triggers the fan movement, then the second click maintains the rotation at low speed.

Regarding rib stitching the tail feathers, I did, but it was because I an idea I had been thinking of for years. I installed flexible ribs on the rudder to create a hidden method for rudder trim. A cam bends the ribs to modify the rudder airfoil shape. I needed to keep the fabric attached to the ribs which were made of Carbon Fiber arrow blanks. There was insufficient surface to glue the fabric to the ribs. And it is possible to take the surface to undercambered shape on either side. For consistency sake, I did all the rest as well. I doubt it is really necessary on conventional tail surfaces.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

I rib stitched everything..... All surfaces of the elevator, rudder, horizontal and vertical stab. And of course wings..... Overkill I know, but educational and I like the looks and added safety.
    -Mike Kraus
    RV-4 built and sold :-(
    RV-10 built and flying
    KitFox SS7 built and flying and now on amphib floats!