Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kitfox 4 left turning tendencies.

Default Kitfox 4 left turning tendencies.

I have a 92 model Kitfox 4 that I'm currently flying every day possible. It has 80 horse 912 and 3 blade Warp, taper tip. No bad habits at all except for the dreaded left turning tendencies. No issues out of the ordinary anywhere but cruise. 80-85 mph and if you let go of the pedals it will seriously yaw to the left. Wind direction will obviously make it better or worse. I do have a bendable trim tab and it's bent pretty good. Worst yawing is with a quartering tailwind from the left. I have played with it in different wind directions and for the most part it's always there. Should I maybe do a bigger tab, or maybe consider a tick of right thrust in the engine? Tab is about 3x5 and bent probably 35-45 degrees now. Headwind from the right and it's pretty good. Thanks!

Default Re: Kitfox 4 left turning tendencies.

That much yaw sounds pretty excessive to me. Have you checked the vertical fin for being out of alignment or bent? If everything else is OK, possibly a bigger bendable trim tab will help; I have a 2x6 tab on my SS7 bent about 30 degrees and it flies straight with feet off pedals.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

It's actually only excessive in the left quartering tailwind. Definitely, absolutely nothing bent. All other conditions it's mainly just a moderate nuisance having to keep a bit on the right rudder. No wind at all and it is just a faint turn. Only in cruise I think I mentioned. Power on stall and it's only a tick of right rudder when slow and pitched up. Never drops a wing in any stall conditions power on or power off.

The wind direction should not have any affect on this. Steady winds only affect how your airplane moves relative to the ground. Have you checked flaperon rigging?

The few Kitfoxes I have flown are not as statically stable in yaw as a garden-variety Cessna. They require that the pilot use the pedals to keep it coordinated. I understand early models had pretty much neutral yaw stability. This has been improved, but the airplane still has short coupling to the vertical stab and rudder.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

Quote Originally Posted by aviator79 View Post
    The wind direction should not have any affect on this. Steady winds only affect how your airplane moves relative to the ground.

Have you checked flaperon rigging?
    I totally agree with the first statement. Wind doesn't have any affect on this.

Also, you might want to check that the wing's angle of incidence and washout are the same on both sides (as well as flaperon rigging). One thing you can do to check this is fly the plane, center the ball with the wings level. The plane should not turn if it isn't disturbed by gusts or bumps. If it turns then you probably have a wing or flaperon rigging problem.

One more thing, make sure your ball is centered when the plane is level. Otherwise you are chasing the wrong problem. Check this first.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Not saying it will not fly hands off. Wing rigging and flaoerons are perfectly the same both sides. If wind direction doesn't have any effect on your course, then why course correction? Just asking, because it is Only prominent in specific wind directions. I'm talking in the 10-30 kt range. It's earlier model 4 with smaller rudder. Straight headwind and and it's hands off to very slight. I can put a bigger trim tab no problem, I'm just thinking that by holding right rudder or having a tab do it for me, I'm inducing drag unnecessarily. Thanks!

I'm going to test a different size trim tab and probably play with the location some.

I guess I'm not totally sure what you are trying to describe here. It might be best to get an experienced Kitfox pilot or CFI to go along with you and help you work this out.

If you are in straight and level cruise flight the required rudder trim will be the same regardless of heading and wind direction.

If your plane requires excessive trim input then there is probably a problem with rigging or the ball not being level.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Adjusted more tab. All fine. Flying now. For now I just bent more angle as it wasn't quite the angle I described in any case. Tab is 2"x6.5. I have come to the conclusion that it isn't really effective where it is located. Midways up the rudder roughly 5" above the stab. Maybe any suggestions as to position? Maybe the airflow isn't as great where it is?
    Last edited by THRC12; 09-19-2018 at 04:57 PM.

With the ball carefully centered how does it stall? Thats the first thing I’d want to check.

Jon
    Kitfox IV 1050, C180. Now I have two backcountry planes! WooHoo!