Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Bringing a Model 1 back to life

Default Re: Bringing a Model 1 back to life

The fan belt was loose, so I replaced it. I cleaned up the pulleys with sandpaper, and the new belt fit right with the same shims in the pulley.

I peeled back the fabric to see what the problem was with the false ribs that weren’t sitting right. They had come loose from the front spar, but were still stuck on the wooden stringer, and had twisted over. You can see where one was broken and had been repaired. The repair had failed, and you could see a point in the fabric where the break poked up.
    Last edited by Good old number 29; 09-05-2018 at 03:57 PM.

My new panel tank is in the mail, thanks to Jim Chuk. The big thing now is, what do I do with the wings? I could make up some false ribs and patch the holes, or I could get in deep, and replace the fabric on the wings. I could possibly just redo the top, since the underside of the wings is in fine shape. That sounds like a half measure if I ever heard of one. I’ve been reading the polyfiber manual. It’s not a big deal to patch it up, but if I do, I’ll probably plan on replacing the fabric in the next year or two, just because. I think the false ribs failed because of snow load, but I can’t say for certain.
    Any suggestions for sourcing false ribs, or just cut my own? I was considering putting some structure back in the first wing bay, and leaving the fuel tank out, so I’d need five, if I did that. I could make it into storage, but I still need to make braces if I do that.
    Last edited by Good old number 29; 09-05-2018 at 04:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Good old number 29 View Post
    I could possibly just redo the top, since the underside of the wings is in fine shape. That sounds like a half measure if I ever heard of one.
    Might be the best half measure you have ever done. Then you can inspect all the ribs and make sure everything is the way it should be. I also have concerns that if Ravens poked holes in the fabric then maybe the fabric is in worse shape then what you've been told. The previous owner of my plane was also told the fabric could be patched because it was only holes poked by Ravens. This video shows how bad the fabric really was.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5eXg-Ou1L4
    Try to rip new Dacron and you will find it is almost impossible. Try to rip your covering and if you can you might want to replace the top of the wing before you fly it. it will be quick and easy and you will feel confident in flying the plane.
    Norm
    Airdrie Ab, Can
    North of Calgary
    Flying SuperFox Model IV

That is an excellent point. This fabric does rip fairly easily, but withstands a straight pull. I could find someone to do the pull test on it. But, getting a look inside the wings would be really good for piece of mind, especially considering the false ribs that were loose. The hard thing about it, is that my shop isn’t insulated, and it’s about to get cold. I don’t want to rip it apart and not be able to get it put right back together, or have temperature related problems. I guess I better hurry up and get it done. There is some silver under the paint.

The proper test for fabric is a punch test. There is a tool to test this. If it fails, it needs replacing.

Ralph

For all the trouble of doing wing fabric, I wouldn't even consider doing it halfway.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

The original fabric is Ceconite 103, finished with Polyfiber products. That’s noted in the assembly instructions, and I have some of the original, leftover fabric. It resists tearing noticably better than what’s on the plane. I know a guy who might have a punch I could use to test it. If that fails, maybe do the pull test. Does light fabric ordinarily meet the same standards as medium or heavy fabric, for the tests?

As long as you cut the fabric up that much, I would rip it all off. Kitfox wings are real easy to do. Everything is straight on them. Lots more work on an Avid with the rounded wingtips., If you do a good glue job, there is really no need to rib stich on these old slower planes either if you ask me. Then while you have the wing apart, you could install at least one fiberglass wing tank as well. JImChuk

PS forgot the false ribs question. I would make my own. I've done it before quite easily. You do want to use the right plywood though. 1/8" 5 ply. https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...nnishbirch.php
    I may even have some of the false ribs here. In fact, now that I think about it, I do.
    Last edited by avidflyer; 09-05-2018 at 08:39 PM.

I just wrote a good long post, then got logged out before it posted. Okay, I skinned it, and have no regrets. It was pretty solid, but there was some oxidation on both leading edges where the fabric was attached. None on the rear spars. The left wing was worse, and ten false ribs came loose, at least partially, from the front spar, besides the two I pulled off, earlier. On the right wing, one false rib had broken, and only one other came loose from the spar. They were all well attached to the wood stringer. Ribs look good. Time to order those wing tanks. Maybe they’ll do better than twelve weeks if I order two of them now. I think I’ll go for the thirteen gallon tanks. I’m considering coating the front spars with epoxy, to prevent further corrosion where the fabric holds moisture against it. Any thoughts on that?

Quote Originally Posted by Good old number 29 View Post
    ..... I’m considering coating the front spars with epoxy, to prevent further corrosion where the fabric holds moisture against it. Any thoughts on that?
    Always a good idea to prime aluminium with a two part epoxy primer. On the subject of the fabric retaining water, if the fabric has been treated correctly with all finishing coats you shouldn't be getting water retention. Regardless, I'd recommend epoxy prime the spar.
    David
    SS7 Builder