Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: 912 coolant spider tank location

Default 912 coolant spider tank location

I'm just placing the spider tank and attaching coolant hoses on my series 6 with a 912ULS that has the dynafocal engine mounts. The pictures in my manual are ambiguous about the placement of the spider tanks. One photo shows the 1" hose pointing rearward and above the rear engine mount tube and another shows it under the tube. The location will determine all the upper hose placement, bends needed, and hose lengths accordingly. I'm convinced its not really critical where the spider tank is exactly located but I don't want to stick it somewhere that will interfere with something else down the road in the assembly process. Does anyone have a top view photo of a similar engine / motor mount config that works and fits with all the other associated parts?

Default Re: 912 coolant spider tank location

Doesn't quite show all routing but best I could find quickly.

Rotax 912 ULS install.jpg

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Thanks for the picture. It confirms my suspicion that the tank is meant to sit down on top of the engine case where its down low and kind of out of the way of the cowling. My engine mount is different than your series 7 and it makes a couple of the tube routings a little more complex, especially with the tank resting on the case. On my mount there is a 3.25" square sheet metal plate welded on top of the rear engine mount cross tube and it seems to be a natural place for the tank to sit. Its up higher about two inches above the engine case and a little more rearward than the case location but it does enhance the tube routing slightly. I don't know yet if this location would interfere with the cowl but I will do a trial fit up to confirm. I'd send a picture but all my pics are too big and I struggle with how to get them small enough to send with my Apple lap top. Thanks again for your picture.
    Last edited by Birdseyeview; 08-23-2018 at 03:50 PM.

Cupar, SK, Canada CLC4 Loon Creek Airfield

Here is a look at where it is on my 5, this is a 2014 912 uls with the new style expansion tank that has some different inlet outlet angles than the older one.

Just make the in's and 1" out line up. Use the 1"out for most of the positioning, so the 1" line to the radiator clears the engine mount, carb, air filter, exhaust, ....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    Airmaster AP332CTFH-WWR70W
    Summit Aircraft Wheel Skis
    C-FOXW

kmach, thanks for the great photo - this is very close to my exact set up only much farther along and should be very useful to me in the future as my build progresses. It also begs a few more questions: 1) is that a prop spacer I see or just for an IFA prop mechanism? I have a 3 blade warp drive prop and am wondering if I will need a spacer? 2) Your picture is good but when I try to blow it up to see some more detail its too blurry to see much. If you don't mind I'll like to send you a private message with my email address so you could send me an uncompressed photo. Might you also have any side views of the engine installation you could also send? Thanks again.
    Last edited by Birdseyeview; 08-24-2018 at 06:21 AM.

Cupar, SK, Canada CLC4 Loon Creek Airfield

Hi,
    That is an IVO IFA mount, which acts like a spacer. It has the through the prop shaft, behind the gearbox, slip ring/contacts, (Murle Williams design) , otherwise it would be out even further.

Your in luck, I have the cowls off, I will get you some more pictures, and email them to you direct.

I had to shrink the pictures allot in order to attach to post.
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    Airmaster AP332CTFH-WWR70W
    Summit Aircraft Wheel Skis
    C-FOXW