Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Insulation options

Default Insulation options

All,

I'm thinking about building an SS7, but am wondering about what options are available to insulate the a/c. I will be flying in the BC/WA state area where it's often cold and damp. A tube & fabric machine with a fair amount of plexi-glass might be a challenge. I expect a Rotax of some kind up front. Cabin heat may be fine for the front of the cabin, but I'd be concerned about my backside.

Mike

Default Re: Insulation options

I have a SS7 With Rotax and heater option. No extra insulation added to the build. I've crossed the Cascades at 3 degrees F. No problem keeping warm.
    Scott Noble
    Kitfox SS7

I agree with Scott. Your backside is no problem because you are sitting on 1-2" of foam, the seatback is 1" foam. Where you may get cold is the back of your neck due to cold air coming from the tailcone and baggage area. To eliminate this cold air source you must seal up the flaperon control horn slots in the turtledeck, and the horizontal stab trim slots in the tail access covers. One other spot for cold air ingress is the the spar ends at the butt ribs. If you make the cuffs as recommended in the manual it solves this problem, or some folks just stuff some foam into these areas. If you do these things the Kitfox SS7 stays quite warm; however I cannot speak to temps below 0F; I guess this is where heated underwear comes in.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Cupar, SK, Canada CLC4 Loon Creek Airfield

Sealing air leaks is the biggest thing you can do to keep warm. I do have insulation on the bottom area under the seat .The back of my seat pan has aluminum foil stick on heat shield.
    -20c no problem. I do dress well with good gear. I use the theory dress like how you would like to be dressed in a crash .
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    Airmaster AP332CTFH-WWR70W
    Summit Aircraft Wheel Skis
    C-FOXW

Quote Originally Posted by kmach View Post
    I use the theory dress like how you would like to be dressed in a crash .
    Totally agree with you. I see many pilots launching without considering that they might be forced to overnight due to weather or a mechanical problem, much less a crash. It can be 90-100 degrees in the summer here and drop below freezing at night in the back country at higher elevations. I would hate to just be in shorts, at tee shirt and sandals.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Jiott. - Could you post some pictures and also talk about how you sealed the tail and aileron slots?

I need to do that on my airplane and try to stop that cold air coming from the back of the airplane

Thanks

Rodney

IMO, The easiest way to combat the "tail draft" in these planes is to wear a hooded sweatshirt. Tuck the hood around you neck for the draft or if it gets too cold pull it up over your head/headset.

Chasing down all the air leaks would be a full time job.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Rodney, Hopefully Floog chimes in on the details and photos, because he is the one who showed me how to do it, but I am just now in process of getting material and hope to install it at my next annual in Feb. Floog flies back and forth over the Cascades every week or two and he has had these leak stoppers installed for several years now, and claims they are a big help, but nothing is perfect of course.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Cupar, SK, Canada CLC4 Loon Creek Airfield

Being able to reduce the air coming up from the tail with a seal around the stabilizer jackscrew trim slot would help allot. I too am looking forward to the pictures of that.
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    Airmaster AP332CTFH-WWR70W
    Summit Aircraft Wheel Skis
    C-FOXW

The first thing I did was blocked the airflow through the oil cooler/radiator with a pilot adjustable cowl flap. Keeping the engine temperature at a minimum of 180F translates into more heat in the cabin. Then I installed 3/8" foam rubber seals over the flaperon shaft and stab slots. The right flaperon slot was the source of the greatest draft on my neck (p-factor). Unlike others, I have zero air flow coming from the spar ends. I applied the foam rubber with contact cement. (Sticky Stuff spray). When I expect temperatures below say 20F, I wear a hoodie over the headset. There just isn't any heat coming from the back of a Kitfox 😁
    Attached Images Attached Images