Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fuel quesstion for my 582

Default Fuel quesstion for my 582

Hi all, and happy thanksgiving!
    Modified rudder pedals are back in and I'm just about to turn the key on my remaned engine. The question of fuels and storage has come up. I can take gas cans to my not so local field for no lead auto gas, but would have to tow the plane to my local airport for avgas. I'm thinking of going with the no lead auto gas. Should I doctor it up with oil for the break-in even though it has oil injection? I would hate to burn up the engine waiting for the oil injector to catch up. And I will not fly in the winter due to storage issues, so how well does that no lead auto gas store? Additives?
    thx jay

Default Re: Fuel quesstion for my 582

If I were to store my plane for more than a couple months, I would drain most of the Mogas out and fill the tanks (and run the engine) with 100LL. Then you can store for year+. Mogas fuel stabilizers like Sta-Bil may work, but there hasn't been enough collective experience in my view to trust it in such an expensive, critical component.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Mogas fuel stabilizers like Sta-Bil may work, but there hasn't been enough collective experience in my view to trust it in such an expensive, critical component.
    IMHO, Sta-bil has been around for more than 50 years and works fine in all types of engines. Millions of gallons of history around for this product. What it doesn't do - it won't prevent fuel volitility from degrading over time (mogas or 100LL), so the longer any fuel is stored the less "ignitability" it will have.

Google "high octane gas" in your local area - you can usually find a few places around that will sell some without ethanol and let you pump some into cans - might be closer that the airport.
    Last edited by Danzer1; 11-23-2017 at 02:08 PM.

I use Sta-Bil in all my other engines, motorcycle, lawn mower, etc. but I just haven't heard of much use in aircraft engines; maybe I am wrong and just am not in the loop. What I have heard many times is to use 100LL for long term aircraft storage.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I'd just follow the Rotax procedures for inital run, break in, and storage. Everything is pretty well laid out for short and long time storage. Are you refering to Non-Ethanol auto fuel or Ethanol blend ?

I use Sta-Bil in all my other engines, motorcycle, lawn mower, etc. but I just haven't heard of much use in aircraft engines; maybe I am wrong and just am not in the loop.
    Still not following - the 582 referred to has variants in thousands of snowmobiles and boats. I don't think the fuel knows what kind of engine it's running in, nor do I think the engine knows what kind of vehicle it's in. There is no difference. Yet you recommend running 100LL, which is contrary to Rotax's recommendations. I don't get it.

Well I don't think anyone answered your original question regarding initial oil. Rotax recommends using 100:1 on startup. I'd run full 50:1 until you can verify the oil's moving in the injection system. See this. As to storing auto fuel, you can use Sta-bil, but why? I'd empty my plane completely, then use that fuel in my car, then buy new next season. You must make sure you've emptied completely, as any residue will varnish, from what I've seen, and that's a major PITA.
    Guy Buchanan
    San Diego, CA
    Deceased K-IV 1200 / 912uls / 70" Warp 3cs

gebuchanan@cox.net

Sta-Bil will stabilize the fuel and keep the additives (mostly) in the car gas.

The problem is the car gas itself. There is so much unwanted BS added to car gas I don't like leaving it in the tanks to sit for long periods. Even the ethanol free variety has lots of BS in it. IMO, this is why older fiberglass fuel tanks have problems.

I would much rather drain and winterize with 100LL, a stable, fiberglass friendly fuel in it's own right. The LL will not hurt the engine. The car gas COULD hurt the tanks.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Fuel is a problem in any engine and some fuels additives are changed depending on the season and location that you live. I have switched to Swift 94oct no lead aviation fuel and have had good results in 582 & 912, and C 85 in my L16A. I bought 350 gals and had it shipped to my hangar, cost less than 100LL at the local airport. Swift guarantees at least 1-year retention of the 94 oct even if stored outside in sunlight in their metal containers.

Jim can you expand on this, please?

How did you buy the fuel, personally or through a business? How are you storing and dispensing it? Does the airport approve or know about it? For your own personal use or do you have a group usage?

I'm very much interested in doing something similar at my airport. Swift is available in our area. My hang ups are details of storage, approval and insurance standing in my way.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos