Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pilot Operating Handbook

Default Re: Pilot Operating Handbook

Posts number 7 and 8 give you all the info you need to develop a POH in the FAA approved format. Post 8 IS a template. You must detail the operation of YOUR airplane so you will not find a ready to fly version unless your airplane is exactly like the one you are copying. That means down to the last circuit breaker.

If you want a copy of my POH as an example to use with the outlines, send me a PM with your email and I'll forward it next week. I'm out of town for a week.

John Pitkin
    Last edited by jtpitkin06; 04-27-2015 at 07:21 AM. Reason: Typo

Thanks John,
    Being a first time builder, its always nice to have an example and to see what others have done. Makes for a good starting point.
    That's what I liked about the Vans Air Force link.
    Rotax 912ULS / Whirlwind Prop
    Garmin G3X Touch

There is a good article in the June 2015 Kitplanes magazine on POH's and how to make one as a kneeboard. Just finished reading it at the Sea-Tac airport waiting for my flight to Reno, NV.
    Stan Inzer
    912 ULS
    Dynon Skyview 10"
    N599KF

I am starting to build my POH. I am using this template but I'm wondering if anyone would mind sending me a copy of their POH not for my to copy but for me to get ideas and understand how much information ect. you are putting in. I know John said to email him but I haven't seen him active on the forum for a while and the post is fairly old.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

I've wondered where john pitkin has been. His build was looking so nice.
    SS7 O-200 Whirlwind

Sent a PM to you, Esser.

How does one even get started and go about creating a POH for a home built aircraft?

First thing Im going to do is make a cover page.
    Really good question. I acquired one someone else put together to use as a template. My plan is to fly the plane and fill in my own information. The books are incredibly small relative to say, a Cessna. Thinking that a POH for a Kitfox would be available to purchase as is a Cessna 152 for example, I called the factory to buy one to use as a template. Their POH's are specific to each of their SLSA and it isn't something that can be purchased. It is only provided with the airframe it belongs to.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

I understand one has to fill in their own information, but what information? What templates do you use or others use?

In the Phase I testing period after receiving your Special Airworthiness Certificate, you fly all the necessary flight profiles to determine the specific speeds (Vne, Vx, Vy, etc) for your airframe and to determine that the aircraft handling. Because you are the manufacturer of you new E-AB aircraft you have to determine these things for your POH for your aircraft. The text can be generic but the specifics must be for your aircraft. There are some good templates online.

Information on how to determine and fly the necessary test profiles are available in AC 90-89a AMATEUR-BUILT AIRCRAFT AND ULTRALIGHT FLIGHT TESTING HANDBOOK..

Ralph