Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Prop Length

Default Prop Length

So, I am building a SS7 with the Rotax 912S. What are my options for propeller length? I am leaning toward a ground adjustable because of my desire to do both xcountry and backcountry flying. Everyone must have an opinion so let's hear about it. Clear the mud up for this clueless aviator.
    By the way, I received my lexan windshield and bubble doors today, where, oh where is the rest of the kit? Actually supposed to be here this weekend. Now I am drooling all over my garage floor whenever I look at the box they came in.
    Stan Inzer
    912 ULS
    Dynon Skyview 10"
    N599KF

Default Re: Prop Length

i'm putting an o-200 in my ss7. i spoke with the sensenich guys at sun n fun, and they said to calculate my minimum clearance for my aircrafts configuration, and go with that for a ground adjustable 2 blade prop. for the o-200 they offer 69" - 72", and recommend going with the 72" for a plane the speed of the kitfox. in other words, slower plane, larger prop.
    also talked to the legend cub guys. they are using the o-200 with the sensenich 72" ground adjustable and verified what the sensenich guys said.
    again, this is for a 2 blade prop.
    if anyone has heard different please correct me.
    ken

Stan, sorry I missed this post somehow until Ken posted a response.

I run the Ivo Patriot 3 blade 72" prop on my 912S. Seems like most run a 70 or 72" prop on the Rotax/Ivo combination. Mine works well and matches up nicely with the 912S.

FYI- The Ivo ground adjustable prop has to be the easiest and quickest adjustable prop on the market. No protractors and no concerns about blade tracking problems. Takes all of 30 seconds to make an adjustment and go fly.
    With the Patriot model it also may be one of the lightest in weight. Very economically priced compared to most all the other props.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

We are going with the Warp 3-blade 72" prop for our O-200
    Tommy Walker in Alabama

72 inch warp three blade on my 5 with 912uls.
    David E.
    Woodstock, Georgia
    N97DE S5 TD Flying

N97KE RV-9A Sold
    N96KE RV10 Sold
    Rans S21 Helping Brother Build (Selling)
    Vans RV-14A (On Order)