Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Kitfox on Floats

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Kitfox on Floats

I wanted to share my float install story. I bought a set of aerocet 1100 floats with damaged actuator cables so I switched everything over to electric using help from this forum (Thank You!). I thought I would return the favor by talking a little bit about my conversion and installation.

I mounted the linear servos to the aft spreader bar supports and have a very strong connection into the floats. I used an aluminum arm off the rotating assembly to actuate the gear up and down and added a limit switch to have positive over-center stops in both the up and down positions.

I setup a single three position switch (gear down - off - gear up) and then used the position sensor in the linear actuator to provide feedback on the status of the float position. I made a microcontroller board to read the position of the two floats and then report that information on two LEDs. Solid green means both floats are down and locked, blinking green means one float is down and locked, no LED means the floats are in an intermediate position, blinking red is one float up, solid red is two floats up and locked. I may switch the red LED to blue, just for fun.

One of the hardest parts was finding the gasket that goes at the back of the floats. I finally made my own mold and fabricated the part from silicone rubber.

Everything worked great and I got to make my first kitfox floating landings a couple of weeks ago.

Thank you all again, the kitfox is a lot of fun!
    Matt
    Attached Images Attached Images