Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Headset Panel Installation

Default Headset Panel Installation

Has anyone installed a lemo for panel power into their build? Considering doing this, just looking for any photos/directions on how people did it.

Thanks,

Default Re: Headset Panel Installation

Unable to post a pic. I don't think it is this site that's the problem. Anyhow, I installed Lemo connectors in the baggage sack immediately behind my seat just inside the triangle window of my SS7. The instructions from Bose show how to install the connector only in series with the standard headphone jacks installed in certified airframes. I had my wire harnesses professionally assembled. I specifically asked that the standard headphone jacks not be installed as I have no intent of using such jacks. The shop provided me standard headphone jacks anyhow stating that the instructions only provide for wiring them to the standard jacks. Unbelievable in my opinion. I have yet to contact Bose for instructions on how to eliminate the standard jacks but I see that the only published instructions are for exactly what I have. I have to tie these jacks up in a service loop if Bose has nothing to say once I call them.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Thanks for the response Eddie. I agree that’s a bit crazy they don’t have any instructions on how to eliminate the standard plugs and that the electronics shop couldn’t do it.

In my case I’ll likely leave both. In series means you can use both at the same time? The cable I have to get audio to the camera uses the standard plugs so I’ll still have use for them. Also doesn’t hurt to have a backup in case I’m relegated to an old headset.

hmm. those are both very good points. I have nearly unused 25year old David Clarks. Timeless items I must say. The audio to the camera, Will look into that. I hope to get the Garmin Virb video camera.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Hopefully this might help. I, too, will be installing LEMO plugs without the standard mic/tel plugs.

The circles at the bottom are the LEMO pin numbers and at the top is a Trig TY91 radio. I have confirmed this wiring with Trig and they think it will be okay. Obviously your radio may have different pins but at least you should be able to transpose Mic Hi etc.

I have no idea how readable the diagram will be as I've had to shrink it to upload.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I also have only limo plugs but installed them just behind my shoulder, same on the right seat.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

You're right Paul, that image can't easily be read. PM sent re emailing the full sized image.

Cheers,
    J.

Another consideration is resale. I know we don't ever anticipate selling our creations but...

Larger considerations have already been mentioned, emergency use of older headsets, replacements while getting the primary units repaired, etc.

Power takeoffs for other equipment, cameras, audio, etc.

I really don't see why having the extra jacks would be a problem? Just an added convenience if ever needed.

Just my .02,
    Clark

I'm doing LEMO-only. Adapters to standard headsets are cheap and easy to come by. Like others, mine are in the upper triangle behind each occupant's shoulder. I did them as low as possible so that the wires can run up the fore leg of the triangle window. I don't have any pictures that show them, but I could take them. I just bonded in some little aluminum plates to mount them to. Pretty straightforward.

As an aside, if I ever find out who dictated that on the front panel, knee-level, and by the door should be the standard place for the headset jacks in a GA airplane, I might slap him.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

Clark, you ought to feel how heavy these four connectors are with their service loop worth of wire. Swear, its over 2lbs. I don't have that much extra wire either, maybe one loop of about 6-8 inch diameter.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X