Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Triple throttle controls, allowing right or left hand on stick from either seat

Default Triple throttle controls, allowing right or left hand on stick from either seat

Hello everyone. I don't have a kitfox yet, just in dreamer phase at the moment. But I had a thought, as my title suggests. I have seen people in KitFox's, and in other aircraft like Pipistrel Virus, fly from the right seat so they can use their right hand on the stick.

So, my idea is, how about setup a three throttle controls, middle, left and right. They would all be linked in behind the dash so the controls all move together, I can see it in my head now. This would allow for right or left hand on the stick, from either seat. Whatever you prefer or are most comfortable with.

Has anyone done this in their aircraft, or would also find this useful?

Your thoughts?

Evan.

Default Re: Triple throttle controls, allowing right or left hand on stick from either seat

Well, everyone will have an opinion - mine is that it's over complicated and would be a bad place to have something fail.

You should also think about it - how often would you really be using other throttles? And why would you let anyone else fly?

I originally had thoughts about moving the throttle to left side only, and then making it more like a level throttle. But, i've since decided to keep it simple and stick to the normal position.

There is someone on here (an Australian guy) who has left and center setup i think. It looked awesome.

Default Re: Triple throttle controls, allowing right or left hand on stick from either seat

This topic comes up every so often. I was thinking the same thing when I had to switch from using the right hand on stick, and left hand on throttle. After taxing around a bunch in my first Avid, the muscle memory developed, and it really wasn't an issue once I flew the plane. It actually was harder to get used to sitting off center from the prop. I had a tendency to come in for landing crossed up. I had been flying a Himax ultralight and then a Champ before the Avid. Of course, in both of those, the prop is straight ahead of you, and you get used to seeing it there. Then you move a foot to the side, but you still want to see the prop straight ahead of you cause that's what you are used to. Makes for some interesting landings. Good thing I was on grass. :-) JImChuk

Correct, everyone will have an opinion on this. I guess mine is I fly from either seat with the standard center mount throttle and find the the switch with throttle and stick to be just another learning deal easily adjusted to.

Less complicated is better for reliability. One of the last things a person would want to have muck-up is the throttle - just my opinion.

Now, If a person wants to test their coordination skills, sit in the middle straddling the console with your right foot on the co-pilots left pedal and left foot on the pilots right pedal
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

If your engine is going to be a Lyc/Cont with a single carb cable, then maybe a triple throttle would be doable, but I personally wouldn't do for the reasons already given. With a Rotax and twin carb cables, a trple setup would be a rube goldberg mess subject to failure and/or adjustment nightmare.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I have an idea in my head, but not seeing behind the panel of a KitFox, I don't know if it would work. My thought has the three throttle's connected to some solid linkage, a pivoting bar perhaps, bearings on the ends attached to the frame. Each throttle is connected to a lobe coming off this pivoting bar. They all move in unison 100%. Then another lobe coming off the bar is the connection point for the throttle cable(s). I'm quite sure it could be made failure proof.

However, as others have pointed out, once you have the muscle memory to fly from either seat, this all become irrelevant.

Avidflyer told my story almost exactly. Except I owned a CGS Hawk for 15 years. Transitioning from center seating, left hand slide type throttle and right hand flying to left seat, right hand Vernier throttle and control stick in left hand felt strange at first but it only took a few minutes to get comfortable with the different arrangement. It's no big deal. My advise is to learn to fly it as it is and you'll get comfortable with it in no time. James Thomas

I have a Kitfox 3 that was issued it's Airworthiness Certificate in 1991. It has an early Rotax 912. The initial setup for the throttle was a rod that was hinged on the left and right side between the instrument panel and the firewall. It had cables running from it to each carb, and one central cable to the instrument panel with a vanier control knob. Prior to my custodianship, this arrangement was removed and a split cable with a single knob from the instrument panel to both carbs was installed. In the other setup, I imagine getting the carbs to sync was a problem.

Just a little back story.

Ralph

My first Kitfox, a model 3, had one of the earliest Rotax 912 engines.

While it did not have a dual throttle handle, it did have a pivot bar behind the panel that had two thin throttle cables coming off each end of the bar going through the firewall to operate each individual carburetor. It worked but required
    more upkeep, more carb syncing and of course it had more failure points. I soon removed it for a much simpler safer heavier duty split throttle cable that gave me a direct connection to the carbs as used on the later model fours. Much better and simpler system.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Quote Originally Posted by jiott View Post
    If your engine is going to be a Lyc/Cont with a single carb cable, then maybe a triple throttle would be doable, but I personally wouldn't do for the reasons already given. With a Rotax and twin carb cables, a trple setup would be a rube goldberg mess subject to failure and/or adjustment nightmare.
    Not to mention the excess friction!