Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: wing varnish

Default wing varnish

What is the best way to varnish the ribs? Spay or brush. With spray there is going to be a lot going on the spars. Also should I spray epoxy primer on the spars before or after rib varnish? if I spray epoxy primer first a lot will go on the ribs. Or is it best to just brush both ribs and spars? What have ya'll done?

Default Re: wing varnish

On my build I used a brush for the ribs first, including false ribs. As a suggestion, install upper or lower false ribs and main ribs first then varnish. This allows easier access for varnishing, particularly the false ribs. Then install the upper or lower false ribs and varnish. Suggest then you apply epoxy primer to spars using hand brush. That’s how I did it and it worked well for me.
    David
    SS7 Builder

What worked great for me was a hobby airbrush sprayer that allowed getting into all those tight places with minimal overspray. Did primer on the spars and varnish on the ribs . when i open up the wing for inspection, still looks new after 14 years . Bruce N199CL

I used a brush for both.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Quote Originally Posted by jiott View Post
    I used a brush for both.
    I brushed the first coat of varnish per the instructions. I sprayed the second two coats and then sprayed primer on the spars. Yes, I got some overspray both directions. However, the varnish and primer are compatible, and I can't think of any downside to the overspray. It's completely concealed and assures that all your wing bits are encapsulated in a continuous coating.

Thanks for the feedback.