Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kitfox build

Default Kitfox build

Good evening,

In the next week I will start building my SS7. I have had the kit for a while sitting waiting on me as I finished a complete restoration of an Aeronca L16A. While that project was fun mostly for the search of original equipment, parts and history on the bird waiting on my IA to sign off as the project progressed has been a test of patience. In all fairness he has been great to work with but I am and have always been a person of drive and completion of tasks. I have built a Challenger, Quick Silver Sport, rebuilt a 5151 Mustang, helped on a Rans S6 and built my own Rans S7, that is my main ride at this time. I am looking forward to this next project and sharing with all of you on this forum as well as receiving info and advise from your experiences, that is what life is about, sharing.

So here is my first question, after reading the manual I am going to start with mounting the wings ( I have the quick build wings) to the Fuselage. How did you secure the fuselage so that it could not move during this process. My shop has concrete floors covered with carpet so I can not bolt/screw the saw horses to the floor.
    Jim

Default Re: Kitfox build

Put about 50lbs in the opposite seat. It will stop it from tipping with one wing. More weight is better.

I look forward to your build. Be sure to post lots of pics as you go.

Thanks!
    Clark

I just set the fuse on the floor, blocked it level etc. then put in enough weight (probably about 80 lbs) to hold it steady.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Thanks for the replys, I would have not thought 50 Lbs would do it, great. I do a fair amount of parts blasting so sand bags will do the job. Yes, once I figure out this site of how to post the photos I will post the build starting with the change in my shop to accommodate having both wings on at the same time.

Jim,

Being a gardner, among other things, I had a supply of dirt bags to balance/hold the fuse in place - same-same like the sandbags - think I had a couple hundred pounds. Only other difference compared to what others have offered is the addittion of the wheel dolly bolted to the rear landing gear brackets for ease of moving the fuse around during construction - the photo attached is at the stage where the lift strut brackets are held in place by band clamps just after the wings were attached.

Sincerely,

Dave S
    KF 7 Trigear
    912ULS Warp Drive
    Attached Images Attached Images

I set mine on a pallet to keep it as low as possible. The only time you have be careful is when you only have one wing attached. I placed a couple of plastic sawhorses with adjustable legs under the remaining wing and had a spotter stand by on that side.

Being a Florida guy I had shot-bag style SCUBA weights on hand.

Tom,

I like your clever and frugal fuselage leveling pads....

Dave S

I went to princess auto (I think your equivalent to harbour freight) and bought 2 ton bottle jacks for $10 and bolted them to the landing gear attach area. Made levelling a snap.

The back one wasn't a cheapy but I had it already.