Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Buying a Kitfox. Need help with insurance

Default Re: Buying a Kitfox. Need help with insurance

I went out to Boise and got my tailwheel endorsement with Stick and Rudder in their Kitfox SLSA. That helped me getting insurance coverage through Falcon. I had about 350 hours, mostly in Cessnas prior to that.
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Z View Post
    Is yours just Liability, or does it include Comprehensive Airframe Damage?
    Mine is 1m liability, medical and non owned aircraft. Covers me if I rent or fly someones plane. My plane is only covered for me to fly it. I have about 1200 hours total time.

I'm also with Falcon through EAA. They had the best rates for me.

$1200/year for $1M liability and $40k hull coverage, 0 deductible.

I started with liability only when I first started with my Kitfox, it was $1200/ year. I had ~400 hours TT, with 10 tailwheel. They required 10 hours in type to insure me so I flew with a friend, CFI and fellow Kitfox-er: JimS as a type checkout. Falcon was happy with that.

After the first year I had 100 hours in my plane and I added hull, not in motion. This kept the premium at $1200.

By the third year I had a couple hundred hours and went to full hull as I am now.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Your homeowners policy and your auto policy will most likely cover zero if your aircraft is damaged or lost in a towing accident. You should have an aircraft insurance policy in place on your Kitfox to be covered for physical losses before transporting which of course must include hull coverage.
    Liability will be your lowest cost portion of your coverage. Hull damage and inexperience will tally the rest.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

The year with before Falcon $1400 as a TriGear, Liability & $80K on hull damage. I had 50+ hours in a tail dragger. I flew with Stick & Rudder before getting it converted To a tail dragger, and I flew 15 or 16 hours getting current & doing some mountain flying. Four months later, I flew my plane to the factory to get it converted. I had to change my policy before I could fly it home. I called Falcon, they were slow in getting me a quote, 2 days waiting. I called Regal, gave them my hours and they insured it in less than an hour $1600 for the year, Liability & $85K on hull in motion damage, 1 million liability. The night I got the insurance from Regal, I got the quote from Falcon, they wanted $2200 for the year.

When I rented this year, I got an $1800 quote from Regal. I listed all of my hours the sign off for currency in Tail Dragger, FAAST training etc. they required and came back with a $1400 quote.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Very informative posts - all. I agree with the likelihood of coverage by homeowners or auto. Not likely. I know of several builders who purchased not in flight insurance while they were building. I think that would be prudent. I like Falcon. We had a claim several years ago and the experience was better than perfect. A rep actually called several times almost begging us to find a way we could claim the amount promised for per occupant medical. We finally sent him a bill from the ER that our medical carrier had already paid. He was happy with that. Then after not flying for five years and building a new airplane, the first year premium was under $1000 including $30,000 hull - with first flight coverage. Quite honestly the experience still amazes me. But, and I think this might be a big factor. I think Falcon and others are brokers and the actual premium you pay and the service you might actually get is more a factor of who the carrier is than who the broker is. Our insurance was through AIG and they are who we dealt with.
    Last edited by HighWing; 10-03-2015 at 07:57 PM.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Agreed, Home owners or auto insurance will NOT cover an airplane. You can buy a not in motion policy pretty cheap.

I used Falcon also until I found a somewhat local insurance company that was half the price for the same 30k hull coverage and no deductable.

Quote Originally Posted by birddog486 View Post
    I used Falcon also until I found a somewhat local insurance company that was half the price for the same 30k hull coverage and no deductable.
    Care to share the company? Thanks!

Sure, I went through Facer insurance out of Rantoul Ill.

With insurance you have to understand there are Agents, Brokers and Underwriters.

Some Underwriters, have agents that will sell you a policy from that particular underwriter.

Agents at a brokerage will solicit all underwriters to get you the best cost on particular coverage based on your experience, your aircraft and what coverage you want.

Options include; liability only, hull (aircraft damage) ground only... either parked, in motion or flying and with/or without liability, you may include medical for yourself and any passengers. Etc.

Bottom line, call an agent. Personally I prefer a brokerage, and ask for an estimate. I have talked to brokers and they have told me that once you have a broker solicit the underwriters for you the underwriters will not change their offer if you call another broker.

Just a partial picture from my experience.

Ralph