Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leading edge build up?

Default Leading edge build up?

Hi,
    Can anyone out there share there experience or plans on how The mod 4-1050 wings are built? I recently had a trailering mishap! My right wing leading edge is damaged. There is no damage to the spar which gives me hope that I don't have to replace the wing. Any info or help will be apreciated.
    Save Flying and Trailering!
    Dave
    Yakutat

Default Re: Leading edge build up?

If you can post a photo of your damage we may be able to help you assess the extent of repair needed.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

A picture would be required to see how large & extensive the damage.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Suggestion...maybe cut it more square ...glue foam block...sand it and put superfill putty...

Jf

There is a plastic piece that is glued to the front of the spar. It projects forward 1/2" from the front of the spar. That being the case, if your dent is 1/4" deep, then it's doubtful that you would need to replace the wing. As others have said, a pic would help. Just ran down to the basement and grabbed a Kitfox 4 manual, and scanned the page you asked for. Hopefully this will be able to give you a good answer about replacing a wing. Jim Chuk
    Attached Images Attached Images

So long as the spar was not affected, the damage is minor and cosmetic only. The previous owner of my Model 4 had a custom trailer built for it so my purchase agreement included delivery. Unfortunately, he damaged the leading edge on one wing loading it up for the trip ughh. Fortunately, damage was limited to the fabric and PVC extrusion only. I found it to be a rather straightforward repair and quite simple really. Here's what I did...

The problem...

Prepping the area...

PolyFiber manual says don't use Bondo because it is heavy and retains moisture, I used this 2-part filler instead...

Filler on and rough sanded...

Gluing the patch fabric on with Poly-Brush...

Patch after heat-shrinking and 2 coats Poly-Brush...

After a couple coats of silver UV Poly-Spray and wet sanding...

After spraying on some PT136 Lemon Yellow Poly Tone paint, it looks half-way decent.

Hope that helps.
    -Aeropro CZ Aerotrek A240 Tri-Gear SLSA 912uls
    -Airdale Avid+ on CZAW Amphibs 'FatAvid Floater' (building)
    -Kitfox 4-1200 TD 912ul (sold)
    -Kitfox Model III TD 582 (R.I.P.)
    -Avid Flyer Mk-IV TD (sold)

HI and Thanks to all!
    It looks like I need to see if I can get a new piece of PVC that mounts to the leading edge from Kitfox or do a foam/fiberglass buildup. I do know that there is No damage at all to the spar. Its just going to be a pain as she is in Anchorage and I am in Yakutat. I did find that the first rib (The visible one) is cracked.
    leading edge.jpg

the cracked rib is scary

how do you know more of them aren't cracked?

Crap, now that is a little damage on the Leading edge. I'd go with a new leading edge from Kitfox, that way the airfoil will be correct. It will also be a faster repair versus shaping foam & then fiberglass.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Ouch. Obviously going to be a bunch of fabric work, but it's really too hard to see from that pic just how badly the PVC is damaged. If it's only scraped down it's length and not totally mashed in, I think it might still be easier to use a bit of filler along the length than removing the old extrusion entirely and replacing it. You can use the template Jim posted to cut out a properly shaped squeegee from some stiff plastic and pull it along the leading edge after applying filler. If you're careful, it should go pretty quick and minimize finish sanding (after all, it will be covered by several layers of fabric and tape). That is, of course, assuming the PVC LE is more scraped than smashed in. I'd be wondering about those other ribs. Grab the wing at the tip and try to twist it (LE up, trailing edge down & vice versa) while listening for any unusual tell tale sounds.
    -Aeropro CZ Aerotrek A240 Tri-Gear SLSA 912uls
    -Airdale Avid+ on CZAW Amphibs 'FatAvid Floater' (building)
    -Kitfox 4-1200 TD 912ul (sold)
    -Kitfox Model III TD 582 (R.I.P.)
    -Avid Flyer Mk-IV TD (sold)