Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: slight right turn

Default slight right turn

My model IV 1200 is trim hands off except for a slight tendency to yaw to the right ever so gently. the Ball is centered and my butt feels even, but, there it is, a slight right yaw turning the plane a few degrees off course until I correct it. I'm not a good pilot, or mechanic, Im not even really good with animals or children, can anyone point to what I might need to do with the plane.
    Its a three blade warp drive prop on an 80 horse rotax 912.
    Thanks

Default Re: slight right turn

My plane did the same thing. I put on a small trim tab on the rudder and that took care of it.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

If your ball is centered flying hands and feet off, then you really don't want to mess with the rudder trim tab. Sounds to me that maybe you have a small amount of right bank that needs to be trimmed out. You do that by readjusting the lift strut rod ends to give a little more lift to the right wing (or less lift to the left wing). I would go 1/2 turn OUT on the right wing FRONT strut, and 1/2 turn IN on the AFT strut.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

be careful on that right bank. I found on my plane that the reason mine had a left bank is because the right aileron had a section twards the left that was hit. it went about 6 inches and it was flipped up. I took and bent in back straight. went and flew and it was gone. I'm sure you could take one side or the other and bend the trailing edge just a little and a section about 6 inches and do the same thing. this fixed mine.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

I put a little rudder trim tab on my plane to counter a slight right turn tendency in level flight. An A&P friend of mine, who has built a Kitfox, told me that you can also add a thin shim to one side of the engine mounts. I didn't try it because my solution was easier, but the A&P says it has worked in several other planes.

Please let us know what you ultimately do and the outcome you receive.
    Michael Meyers
    KF IV
    Las Vegas, NV