Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: folding wings every flight

Default Re: folding wings every flight

I you can just fold the wings and push the plane straight in and out of the hangar it only takes about 5 minutes.

Unloading or Loading on a trailer and securing everything takes me about 20 minutes minimum on each end of the flight.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

I was thinking more of useing an enclosed trailer as a hanger so I would not secure after every flight. You are right though I got the kitfox when I had to use the dolly system and thought folding one wing would be easier than the dolly. Tom looks like a nice plane. Do you have an Album

Norm, I don't have a album. My kitfox is a tinker toy compared to what most people build today. It's a classic 4 with just a Rotax 503 engine. Very basic bare bones. The only electrical accessory is the starter.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

I now have a more realistic view of the realitles of trailering. I guess I will never know till I do it. But for sure one thing is certain the Kitfox gives you all options. One minor thing though:

If I want to tie down for a week or so you really can't do that with the Fox. Rain probably isn't a good thing. But an all metal like Zenith Cruzer is no issue. But then theres hail!

Heres another idea. I live 1.4 miles away from thre airport. Nice Asphalt streets all the way. Why do I need a trailer! Can't I tow it tail first on its gear that distance? I would have to make some sort of tow bar that fits a standard trailer hitch but I am sure it can be done. Does anyone know of any structural concrens with that.

Quote Originally Posted by awilson View Post
    Heres another idea. I live 1.4 miles away from thre airport...
    This wouldn't be legal here(new Zealand)
    Tyres would have to be legal for highway use and a light systym would have to be fitted ,as well as a certified draw beam.
    Towing like this does make sense but cornering speed and cross wind would be an issue with the original narrow gear

Your right it would be illegal here too without lights. And I bet your right about tires and other standard trailer items.

Smile Re: folding wings every flight

I have done it in the UK with a trailer board and makeshift mud guards
    I will try and find the photos I did it before the fuslarge was covered
    Dave
    Dave Holl
    Building Kitfox MK7
    Rotax 912ULS

A couple additional thoughts on trailering.

I don't know what the average competency is of drivers you share the road with in your location; however, back here....not so good....average earthlings here drive like crap. Tailgate...run red lights...switch lanes...cut people off...wear out their thumbs on their devices....wear out their middle fingers communicating...speed.....have no apparent understanding of the laws of physics or the traffic laws. I guess some of them drink and blow dope to get in the mood for driving. We can do a flawless job of driving & trailering and there are people out there we share the road with who don't give a rat's elbow. IMHO....there is a risk in trailering....it's not zero.

A good thing to check & be sure of. Is the aircraft insured when transported in a trailer on the road?. It would have to be either your aircraft insurer; or, your auto insurer. I am pretty sure there are exclusions on some policies. Some policies have riders that must be in place to have coverage for situations like this. If there is a wreck and your airplane is excluded because of language in your policy......that's a lot of value to kiss goodby if it gets crashed on the road.

I know people vary in their risk tolerance and risk exposure, however, might be good to know this and make an educated decision rather than not know and try to figure out what to do if there is an OOPS!

Sincerely,

Dave S

Interesting discussion. I think we would all agree if we could have a reasonable hanger available we would take it. I don't so I trailer it every flight. Airstrip is a mile down the road and very nice. But no hanger and I'm not about to leave it out side. Still getting 60 hours a year in. I don't find it that hard to fold wings for the privilage to fly a Kitfox