Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Muffler Cracks

Default Muffler Cracks

325 hours of fun in the past year and half. My plane has been awesome. Yesterday while changing my oil I discovered two cracks in my exhaust. Looks like the cracks started front the spring tab welds. I'm having the exhaust welded now. Hope the fix works. Just thought I'd share my experience so you could keep an eye on yours.
    20150711_151500.jpg
    above is the crack. When I remove the exhaust I discovered another one of the tabs was developing a crack. I'll share the results when I get back in the air.
    Scott

Default Re: Noble Build

20150711_160940.jpg
    Here is a side view.

Mine cracked 3 times around the number 1&2 stack at the muffler as yours has.welded it up three time, seems like third time is the charm.don,t forget to purg the inside with an inert gas before you start welding to get a good weld inside and out.

Thanks for the tip.

Thanks for the heads-up Scott. You can bet I will be keeping close watch on mine-250 hours now.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Looks almost like mine at 60 hours. Mine was non repairable, so a new muffler was purchased. Hope this one last a lot longer.

Dick B

Wow. That's odd. I just rebuilt my muffler due to a crack, too. About 500 hours TT.

Mine failed at the blast tube inside the muffler which caused the stinger end cap to crack. I made my own blast tube from perforated 304 stainless I bought from Amazon.

I started this new thread about the muffler cracking for future reference.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Av8r3400; 07-13-2015 at 08:34 PM.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Default Re: Muffler Cracks

Interesting reports. I am not flying yet, however, took these pics of the muffler on my 912is - the muffler came fitted with the engine. The obvious differences are the use of 2 springs and the different weld pattern. I have no idea if there are other differences such as the type of materials used or thicknesses used. I don't know if others have this design with hours on it? It will be interesting to see if this arrangement avoids the cracking issues reported here.

cheers

ross
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)

Ross, I see you safety wired the springs differently than most of us. Your method could still allow broken spring pieces to not be contained by the wire. I would recommend running the wire from welded loop to loop thru the center of the spring. Don't twist it tight so the spring has room to stretch and do its thing. Also don't forget the bead of hi temp silicone along the spring for vibration damping. Someone probably has a nice photo of what I am saying.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

+1 on the silicone, broke 4 spring in my first 100 hrs, added the silicone and none since (now at 430 hrs).
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive