Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new twist on the wing folding discussion

Default new twist on the wing folding discussion

I am new to the forum and this is my first thread! I like in Schaumburg Illinois and am considering buying a Kitfox kit very soon. A primary need for me is the wing folding. But my question is since the Kitfox is rag and tube is it a bad idea to keep it tied down at the airport for say a few months out of the year during the summer? Or is any length of time outside not a good idea.

Default Re: new twist on the wing folding discussion

People do it, however.... if you build and aircraft (not that I have, my dad did) it'll be your pride and joy. You will not get a single night of good sleep while it is outside of the hangar.

Obviously in good conditions it is not a problem, but you'd be best to avoid, strong wings, rain and hail..

Jono

Kitfox aside, our buddy lets us use his cherokee which he keeps outside all year. Invest in a good set of wing/tail/cowl/canopy covers and you really should have no issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Esser View Post
    Invest in a good set of wing/tail/cowl/canopy covers and you really should have no issue.
    Good point, hadn't thought of that.. still I'm a fan of a good old hangar :-)

Me too! But hangar rent is about $1000 to $1200 a month where I live

The Flying Club I was with had 5 or 6 spam cans. They kept them outside, none of them were worth much, 1000s of hours, crappy paint, and hail damage on all of them. You did not need to read the Flying Clubs logo on the tail to know which flying club they belonged to. I know they still have the 152s, 172's and one Piper they had when I started flying in 1985. Personally one of the reasons I quit flying with the club was because I personally was concerned with the poor condition they were all in.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

When I first got my kitfox I was folding the wings and keeping it in the tool shed on the farm. I have a 1050ft n/S strip on the farm. I got a hanger at the airport 4 miles away as soon as one was available. $102/ month electric included was worth it to not have to fold and unfold the wings. Also have a 6000 ft 9/27 and 2500 ft 5/23 runways. Much nicer than mine with trees 200 ft from one end and power lines 350 ft from the other.

It's been a topic for a hundred years. Hangar or outside. I think the answer depends a lot on where you live.

The Midwest is famous for golfball and larger hailstones. Hailstones in that size would just about total most Cessna airplanes. the Kitfox could be recovered but it wouldn't be cheap.

Southern California enjoys a mostly hail free atmosphere. Hail larger than peas would rate front page news photos. Storing an airplane outside in San Diego County is more the norm than a hangared airplane. Polyfiber covered airplanes are good for ten years of more in SoCal.

But in some areas the sun is more of a threat than hail. The Phoenix area is a prime example of park it and bake it. The heat take a toll on fabric and avionics.

If you are limiting your exposure I would think a few months a year outside may be worth the risk of weather damage in trade for the convenience of not having to tow it back and forth.

John

$107 for hanger rent that is excellent, my hanger is $356 per month, I share the hanger with a guy that has a Glass Air. I'm planning on getting one of mine own latter this year, I'm not happy with sharing a hanger. Too much hanger rash to deal with.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

I appreciate the info guys. Birds and nests are another problem. It is so frustrating. Available hangers cost 450 and up.