Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pilot Relief Tube

Default Pilot Relief Tube

Not that anyone advertises this, but has anyone rigged anything up? Used a venturi? Tips and tricks?

I have no shame in saying I plan on installing one haha. I jsut have two criteria. No stains, and no icing.

Default Re: Pilot Relief Tube

Haha might streak a bit. I was thinking of running it into the exhaust to create a negative pressure that ejects 6" below the fuselage and is hopefully evaporated by the high heat. Insert a valve so there are no fumes.

Wink Re: Pilot Relief Tube

Funny story.. I went to a concert at a County Fair to hear Roy Clark. Surprised that to introduce him his buddy Chuck Yeager walked on stage. Roy told a story about when Gen. Yeager took him for a ride in the back of a P-51. Roy had to use the relief tube. To shorten the story, yellow ice was involved.

Gatorade bottles, and a lot of caution trying to keep the plane under
    control and not get wet pants ... That's what I use. I have often though
    about the venturi idea. It isn't far fetched, the Grumman E-2C's I worked
    on in the navy had a system for exactly that. With a relief tube at the pilot/copilot seats.

The Gatorade bottle system works better in summer than winter, since
    here near Chicago means multiple layers of clothes, which complicates
    things ...

Jeff

I don't know , living in Texas and flying this 110 degree summer days, maybe the guy that T J knows in the Jeep may have the right idea!
    Humm warm water
    No never mind dumb statement!
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

What about the "Travel John" from Sportys? I have some in my fox but have not had the need to use one yet. Its like a zip lock bag but with a highly absorbant get inside; so no problem in case of punctures. Anybody tried these?
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Hi guys
    After doing bracky therapy for prostate cancer quite a few of my flights would be rather short without some method of relief. Probably quite a few of us old guys can relate to this.
    Anyway I installed a relief tube beside the stick. Use a "little john " and for longer flights dump down the tube. Takes some practice but better than the other option! !
    So far go problem with smell or stains. Have not used it in freezing conditions.
    This thread may go on for a while.
    You do what you gotta do
    Have fun
    Don ..
    Attached Images Attached Images

I don't know if this will be helpful or not. I have thought about the relief tube for a long time but never quite figured it out.

I had an opportunity not long ago to help a guy who was severely injured in an automobile accident - paralyzed from mid chest down. He uses an external or "condom" catheter. The picture in your mind is the 1000 words. I checked them out on line and they come in various configurations from daily use types to some that have an adhesive attachment for multi-day use. Be aware, though, if you do a search, the next time you are on your favorite sports site, that will be the pop up ad that will greet you.

I think if I wanted to try something like this, I would figure out how to connect it to a tube that ran down the gear leg - ending pointed aft.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Remember... the longer the tube, the slower the flow. Can you say, back pressure!!!.

Paul, you were earlier complaining about auto correct. I read a complaint about it that read: "Auto Correct is my Worst Enema", think about it!

Ralph
    KFIII

I ended up carrying a
    coffee can to drop the used bags in. I eventually settled on using Gatorade
    bottles instead. Not the easiest to use in flight in a Kitfox, but they work,
    and they're cheap.

Jeff