Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need help with fuel shutoff identification

Default Re: Need help with fuel shutoff identification

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Z View Post
    My father use to own a Rubber Goods Products company, I use to make hose assemblies for the Southern Paciffic RR. I was paid a whopping $1 per hour working for him. They are not difficult to make in the least.
    The modern products are amazing. Once this was put together, there is no way to pull it apart again. I tried! I consider it fit for flight, there is no way it's coming apart.

So...I'm dealing with the same thing currently. Kitfox referred me to a valve which has two 1/4 barbed hose clamps. The problem is it goes into the AN-6 females(I believe that is the size). Can't seem to find 1/4 inch hose with AN-6 males. I don't have a hose and fittings company near by. Any ideas where I might pick up 1/4 hose to AN-6? The valve is FV-11118, wicks part I believe.(This is a model 3)

I installed one of these.
    http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...ges/minifv.php
    The 3/8" Size. Not FAA approved. Been in for 7 years, no leaks.

I modified the stock Kitfox mounting hardware to mount it.
    Fuel Valve 1.jpg

Fuel Valve 2.jpg

Cut the handle off a bit to fit in the mount.
    Fuel valve 3.jpg
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

Thanks for the ideas.....I had actually seen your pics and that is the one I ordered along with the wicks. The A&P mechanic I am working with doesn't like it for various reasons. Any more ideas much appreciated.

Or you can go down to your local Home Desperate aircraft department and buy pretty much the same ball valve for less than 1/3rd the price!

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Mueller-G...32NL/202283797

Aircraft Spruce says "Not FAA Approved" and "The manufacturer does not have any documentation for use with av gas, however, there are many Aircraft Spruce customers that use these in experimental aircraft with av gas"

It always amazes me that "aircraft suppliers" feel justified in charging much more for non-aircraft parts.

Further amazes me that some feel compelled to pay it for non-aircraft parts.
    Last edited by Danzer1; 11-15-2014 at 09:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by beeryboats View Post
    The modern products are amazing. Once this was put together, there is no way to pull it apart again. I tried! I consider it fit for flight, there is no way it's coming apart.
    Tha hose assemblies I made were crimped just the same to disassemble it required a vise and hack saw to cut the wedged sleeve off. The is no way you can pull, by hand or even using vice grips, pull the fittings out.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

[QUOTE=t j;44666]I installed one of these.
    http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...ges/minifv.php
    The 3/8" Size. Not FAA approved. Been in for 7 years, no leaks.

Like Danzer said, you can get these valves at a hardware store. The guy who used to sell these to Spruce was a friend of mine (now "gone west). He'd buy them from Ace Hardware & sell them to Spruce. If you search around a little you'll see that many of these valves are made in Italy. They're usually a pretty good valve, and perfectly compatible with fuel. They are full-flow ball valves and usually have teflon seals. Some bodies are plated, some not (brass). If you look carefully you'll find that some have a packing gland at the handle stem that can be tightened if the valve starts to leak a little with wear & age. I like that, but they seem to last just fine either way. I've used one on my T-18 for 24 years, & I'm going to use a couple on my Kitfox. One thing to be aware of is that many of these valves have straight pipe threads (spt) instead of the normal tapered threads (npt). I've seen guys use the straight threaded ones with tapered threaded fittings - regular aluminum AN fittings, with apparent good success. I'm not recommending that, but with a good thread sealant it evidently works if you can get the fitting screwed in enough.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Thanks guys for all the good info.