Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Possible tank leak search help needed.

Default Re: Possible tank leak search help needed.

Thanks Nick. Was the kreem, or kream, a factory applied coating? From what I can see, it looks like natural epoxy and mat finish. When I get home I'll try and take some still photos and post them.

My problem was the Kream coming off the tanks in large and small chunks. You could literally peel it off the filler neck area. When we took out the tanks we broke them but there was no damage to the metal spars or anything. Its not fun but the new tanks fit was perfect and well worth the effort.

I guess I will enter the discussion. After a 6 day fly around our province I must have gotten some of that dreaded ethanol in my tank. The last day I thought I could smell fuel but not signs of any leak, so thought I may have spilt some on me. After getting home the right tank is showing leaks all over the bottom of the tank and floaters inside of tank. I knew the day would come to replace them. These are pre90s tanks. I didnt build it so it is a bit intimadating to cut my wing open to replace them. Any advice, pictures would be great. Possible pitfalls in the process? Should I take all the covering off the wing and start over? What covering should I use? I best give John a call and get things ordered.

there are some pictures of my tank project in my album . mine would have been somewhat more involved than yours if you intend to install the same size tank . I had two 6gallon tanks which wasn't enough gas so I replaced them with the 12 gallon tanks . required removing a rib and relocating braces . also my wings aren't rib stitched but I wish they were . feel free to ask if any questions come up
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

I called John Mcbean tonight to order a couple things, including a new aluminum header tank. I asked about what I was seeing inside my tanks, and it sounded like he wasn't too sure he liked the idea of loose hunks of resin floating around. He also said some tanks were factory Kreamed. Not good. I swear mine have that coating, but it must be very thin. I need to take some still photos so I can post them to the group for viewing and feed back.

I have the early 90's fiberglass tanks that were Kreamed. They have never seen Ethanol gas and the Kream appears as a very thin whitish coating on top of the light tan fiberglass. I don't have any delamination of the Kream (yet) and no gobs of resin, though my tanks have only seen a couple of years with fuel. During the annual condition inspection I pull the finger strainers and inspect the tank interior but have found no loose material in them to date.
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

Quote Originally Posted by wannafly View Post
    I guess I will enter the discussion. After a 6 day fly around our province I must have gotten some of that dreaded ethanol in my tank. The last day I thought I could smell fuel but not signs of any leak, so thought I may have spilt some on me. After getting home the right tank is showing leaks all over the bottom of the tank and floaters inside of tank. I knew the day would come to replace them. These are pre90s tanks. I didnt build it so it is a bit intimadating to cut my wing open to replace them. Any advice, pictures would be great. Possible pitfalls in the process? Should I take all the covering off the wing and start over? What covering should I use? I best give John a call and get things ordered.
    Sorry to hear!

I haven't replaced the tanks but if I were in your boat and knowing what I know, I would just cut the fabric off the top of the wing over the tanks(If you have poly fibre) and drop in new tanks. I haven't done this before but I have installed the new tanks. If you want a hand let me know and I'll see if I can fly down to Lethbridge in the Cherokee if the timing works out.

I'm with Esser, I dropped in the new tanks and just cut the fabric tapes over the tank bays. I'ts a job but no way to be happy about sanitary fuel supply until you know the tanks are clean.
    I will try and post some pictures today or this evening. I think I have some valuable photos.
    Last edited by Wheels; 08-12-2014 at 11:09 AM. Reason: wrong quote

Quote Originally Posted by Av8r_Sed View Post
    I have the early 90's fiberglass tanks that were Kreamed. They have never seen Ethanol gas and the Kream appears as a very thin whitish coating on top of the light tan fiberglass. I don't have any delamination of the Kream (yet) and no gobs of resin, though my tanks have only seen a couple of years with fuel. During the annual condition inspection I pull the finger strainers and inspect the tank interior but have found no loose material in them to date.
    This has been my experience exactly with one difference. I did use ethanol containing fuel in my first Model IV. When I first looked in my tanks - 1993 factory Kreemed - I was disappointed to find that the Kreem was a very thin coating rather than the thick rubbery coating I had expected. It was my expectation that was wrong. I believe the Kreem was initially used to fill pinholes in the fiberglass rather than fill the exposed weave of the glass or protect the resin. I re-Kreemed once in the right tank because of very small leaks on the top of the tank just outboard of the filler neck that somehow caused eighth inch blisters In the Aerothane. After removing the Kreem, I tried filling with fuel and the tank held fuel like a colander would hold water - drips everywhere. After re-Kreeming the right tank - no issues for the rest of the 900 hours of flight time over nine years. This was with mostly autogas with 10% EOH but avgas on long cross countries.

Folks often relate the Kreem coming off in sheets to "mold release" This is not likely as the tanks are made up in female molds and then mated. The mold release would be on the outside - the smooth side. My guess is that the Kreem failures resulted because polyester resin is oxygen inhibited and the resin surface exposed to the air will not cure, but remain tacky due to the oxygen contact. Add Kreem to a layer of uncured resin and eventually the uncured resin will dissolve away leaving the Kreem floating on nothing. (The likely reason the new EOH resistant tanks require chemical rinsing before use is also due to the oxygen inhibited uncured resin on the (inside) surface of the tank - dissolve the uncured surface resin and move it to the carburetor and you will have a mess). Surface Type resin has a wax in the resin that floats to the surface and protects the surface from the oxygen, but I am not comfortable with adding Kreem to a waxed surface either.

I suspect over the years, more than one vendor manufactured the tanks - both my tank sets were manufactured by Denney Aerocraft. And without a doubt, even with a single vendor, different workers made up the tanks. These resins are extremely technique sensitive. A lot of variation can be introduced by resin quality, mix ratios, shop temperatures and simple attention to detail. Remember the old adage, "Don't buy a car assembled on Mondays or Fridays". I am afraid that some of us got tanks "made" on a Monday or Friday. The sad thing, in my opinion, is that the Kreem unfairly took the rap. Put any coating on a poorly prepared surface, whether it be a fuel tank liner or the finish on a flaperon and bad things can happen.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Thanks Lowell. Did you get your bleed screw back? When I talked to John he said to stay away from oxygenated fuel (autogas). I never did figure out if it was in relation to the tanks or the hoses.

So how bad a job is it to change the tanks? I'm not so worried about the price as I am about the job itself. How bad does it look when you're done? How did the paint match turn out? And I assume the wings have to come off.

I knew there was a fuel leak issue when I bought the plane, but I hoped it was a bad line. I had no idea the early tanks were crap until I bought the old girl, brought her home, and got on the forums. Yuck! Help!