Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How can i check the dihedron of my KF2 ?

Default Re: How can i check the dihedron of my KF2 ?

It is definitely a possibility that your issue with having to push up on the right wing is a symptom of your problem as this indicates a lower angle of attack on your right wing thus causing a bank to the right. You could shorten the back right fitting which will cause the spar to raise up where it gets cotter pinned to the fuse so you won't have to push up on it. However, you want to make sure you still preserve the washout of the wing so your stall tendencies remain friendly. This where the smart level is really the best tool for this job. You want to make the plane fly level and have as close to 1 degree of washout as you can get to maintain good stall characteristics.
    Last edited by Geowitz; 04-29-2011 at 10:33 PM.

A smart level would be nice to use, but a 4' level and a tape measure will tell you the amount of twist/washout in each wing just as well. Just put the level up against the bottom of the wing at the fusaloge, lower the one end of the level till it reads level while holding the tape measure at that end. Read the tape. Do the same at the other end of the wing and subtract the inboard dimention from the outboard one and you will have the amount of twist in the wing. I don't remember what all the earlier post said, so sorry if I just repeated someone's elses thoughts. Take care, Jim Chuk

Thanks for all this answers will check this when i'll become less busy ;-)

I have been looking, but I haven't found a definite dihedral angle prescribed for the kf2. I am getting 1.6 degrees for each wing on kf2 ( measured on the front spar on both sides.) Is this correct? I've noticed on the kf4 and up to the ss7 that the dihedral is considerably less, no more than 1.2 degrees. close to 0 for the ss7. Thanks.

You're not going to chnage the dihedral much once the wings are built. You can change the twist a little with strut adjustments. I would adjust them to where it flies straight and not worry about the dihedral.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

Thanks for the response.. I am still at the point of attaching the strut brace to the spar, I can still attacH the spar wherever needed to adjust the dihedral. I also have not drilled the bottom holes yet to the spar. Is 1.6 in the ballpark?

I was under the impression that dihedral was set to a given distance measurement, rather than an angle. Similar to how the washout is set during the buildup of the wings.

Like 2" at the center via a string from tip to tip… ?
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Yes, there is a distance that the strut brace is set from the root. A small adjustment significantly changes the dihedral. as a sanity check before drilling holes, I wanted to see if 1.6 degrees is close.

Thanks for the quick replies!

Very easy to use a laser level, wish I would have used one when I built my
    Fox it would have simplified a lot of things. My plane is very true, but I didn't
    use a laser level. I have used one extensively with the new plane, and it is
    the superior tool.

Just have to use the right combination of (1) figuring out what you are trying
    to do, and (2) do it with the laser level.

I also cross check the lines from the laser level with a regular level.

If you work in a hangar where you can dim the lights that's the thing to
    do.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Lion8 View Post
    Is it possible to use a lazer level?

I would say you are in the ball park. I am doing my condition inspection right now, I'll go check and get a couple photos and make some measurements. Mine is a model 4 but will give some numbers for reference.

Okay here's what I have. I stretched a string tight between the high points of the outboard ribs (Right at the trailing edge of the false ribs).

Measuring from the top of the root rib to the string is 2-7/8" on each wing. Using a smart level I get 1.3 degrees on the right wing and 1.2 degrees on the left wing.

Note: At first it measured 1-3/4 on each wing then I sighted down the string and it had a sag in it. I had to pull it really tight to get the sag out then measured 2-7/8".

I was holding the tape with one hand and the camera with the other and didn't get the shot straigt on level with the string. It is 2-7/8" when you look straight on.
    Dihedral1.jpg

This is what it looks like. I have had people ask if there is any Dihedral. It is hard to see without the string. Flys beautifully hands off.
    Dihedral2.jpg
    Last edited by t j; 11-09-2014 at 01:37 PM.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder