Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Exhaust re-route

Default Re: Exhaust re-route

Think: Swiss Muffler

Maybe not more aerodynamic, but at least it's heavy…
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Quote Originally Posted by Av8r3400 View Post
    Think: Swiss Muffler

Maybe not more aerodynamic, but at least it's heavy…
    I'll bet that is quiet!

Ya Steve, cutting that stinger might be a thought. The only thing I wonder about that is will more smoke hit the radiator. I dunno.

Larry
    That looks cool but does look on the heavy side.
    Dan B
    Mesa, AZ

When I received my firewall forward kit - about 1996 or so, I was disappointed that I got an exhaust set-up with the pipe straight down as it is found today. My desktop is down right now so can't verify with early pictures, but it is my recollection that the standard 912 exhaust stack back then came out through the cowl air exit without the need for a cut hole. There were occasional reports of the cracking at the muffler with those set-ups, so I became comfortable with what I had as cracks were never an issue with that airplane. When I am up and running again, I will search my collection of fly-in pictures and post what I find.

I checked my antique Mac and find pictures of early IVs with the stinger exiting the air outlet with no or sometimes minimal trimming of that area of the cowl. Pictures also suggest that stingers on 5s exited the cowl as today, but exited at a more rearward angle. Pictures when I am back on line.
    Last edited by HighWing; 10-07-2015 at 10:25 PM.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Thanks for the input Lowell, I'm sure there is a happy medium for the stinger routing. As mentioned previously, shooting it straight back (next to the radiator) would probably generate too much heat to the underside of the fabric. Even though I built a one piece SS firewall that wraps under covering the floorboard area, getting that stainless too hot would eventually wear on the integrity of the fabric. I like the thought of exiting out near the rear of the cowling at perhaps a 45 degree bend down. If anyone has a setup like this I would appreciate your thoughts on how it's working for you.Those pictures would be great if you found them Lowell. Thanks
    Last edited by DanB; 10-12-2015 at 04:12 AM.
    Dan B
    Mesa, AZ

Dan,
    I have to apologize for the image quality. I am still patching up my desktop. Attached are several pictures of early IVs with the original Denney exhaust system followed by mine with what I thought at the time was a mis-sent Vixen exhaust. I knew all of these guys quite well and some I flew many hours alongside. I don't recall any issues with these guys exhausts.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

I looked at my 3 this weekend, it has the same exhaust routing as in HighWings pics. Notice the exhaust routes out on the left side... the radiator is offset to the right side.

Ralph