Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Pitot Tubing/Elecrical Routing, SS7 with G3X question

Default Pitot Tubing/Elecrical Routing, SS7 with G3X question

Building a SS7 and installing a G3X AoA system with the Garmin GAP26 pitot tube. Have decided to go with a simple heated probe(not the regulated) due to the cold weather flying that will be done.

Made a pitot mounting plate with material procured from the Hob Lob Aircraft Wood Division. Cut a rabbet to mate with the cap strip, doubled the false rib and shimmed to the stringer to keep it all flush. Used the Saf-air pitot mast made for te RV's and cut off the joggle.

I would like to keep the electrical run for this as short as possible. Routing it to the wingtip and thru the aft spar adds 10ft to the run and causes a step up in the wire gauge needed.

It appears that it is possible to route this over/under the aft spar and thru the web in the ribs aft of the rear spar, exiting at the aft edge of the rear spar. There is even room to run this thru a small nylon conduit.

I have searched the forums and have not found anything like this.

Am I missing something?

Thanks to all!! You have been a blessing
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jim31886; 11-17-2014 at 12:42 PM.
    Jim Morrison
    Maypearl, TX

Default Re: Pitot Tubing/Elecrical Routing, SS7 with G3X question

[quote=jim31886;44753]
    "It appears that it is possible to route this over/under the aft spar and thru the web in the ribs aft of the rear spar, exiting at the aft edge of the rear spar. "

Jim,

A couple photos attached - doesn't show everything but I ran my electrical down the lower false rib support - then at the rib before the fuel tank to the rear through the rib web and looped under the rear spar to the back side of the spar.

The pitot line I don't have much of a photo for; but, that was run in front of the rear spar to the rib before the fuel tank then along with the electrical to exit the wing behind the rear spar. (easier to make the two 90 degree bends for the pitot by going back along the rib web first)

I used some dollops of the adhesive used for gluing the wing tanks in to scure the wires and pitot run along the way and behind the spar - the wing tank adhesive is compatible with aluminum and it has held up well.

Dave S
    KF 7 Trigear
    912ULS Warp Drive
    ST Paul MN
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Pitot Tubing/Elecrical Routing, SS7 with G3X question

The only wiring I have on my wing is for the nav lights and strobes so it is run through the aft spar. I plan on eventually adding a angle of attack device. If my wings were uncovered, I would run as Dave suggests. I used the similar stringer at the bottom of the fuselage to run the wiring to the trim tab and aft position light. I drilled holes through it periodically so I could run the lacing tape without it lifting the bottom fabric. When I eventually install my planned angle of attack unit, I will run the wires loose through the ribs.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel