Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Strut attach brackets

Default Strut attach brackets

Hi folks. I am attempting to temporarily mount the Front and rear strut attach brackets. The instructions say to clamp them on with hose clamps - but frankly, mine fit so tight that I will have to apply about 20 lbs of force to get them to go on. So - do I need to open the brackets up so that they just fit and clamp them - or can I just force them on? I am concerned about this due to the warnings about scratching or damaging the spars.

Thanks

Tom Livermore

Default Re: Strut attach brackets

Yes definitely do not force them on so there is any danger of scratching the spars. A scratch here would be at the most critical area on the spar. I opened mine up so only a light effort was required to install them. Then used padded (duct tape) hose clamps to temporarily hold them in place.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I pressed mine onto a piece of pvc pipe to expand them a bit; probably something I read on TeamKitfox at one time.
    Doug
    Super Sport
    912ULS
    Constant Speed IVOProp

Ok - thanks for the help. Question answered.

Tom

Just a quick question regarding the thickness of the material to make these. A friend has offered to help make a set from .040" molly steel. He said he is making/getting a set for his wings and I also need a set made. Just need to figure out correct thickness to order. I am not sure if I can get one of the old fittings off , but will look into it. Is this the standard thickness used on 1050 MTOW kits back then?