Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: gascolator?

Default Re: gascolator?

Hi Guys
    I have a Vixen that just yesterday flipped past the 500 hour (master switch time) and in the last 400 hours has never had any filtering other than the gascolator (required by Transport Canada on all a/c except ultralights). I purchase off hiway "non ethanol" fuel from a bulk dealer except when traveling and 100LL is all that is available. To date I have never had an issue with fuel contamination and hopefully won`t have because most of our terrain here is quite unfriendly!
    Not sure, but I would think that anything passing the fine screen in the gascolator would also pass through the carbs.
    I did install the recommended fuel return line (back to the gascolator) and a fuel pressure gauge (runs just under 5 PSI).
    Cheers
    Don
    Vixen 912UL C-FOXK

The header tank is a nice sump but has no screen. A slug of water or rust
    at a refueling stop can get to the engine. On my SS7 tri gear with Rotax 912iS . I have a gascloator (117 microns) mounted low on the fire wall which is the lowest point. Then on to two electric fuel pumps followed by a 10 micron filter which has a 60 micron screen at its input and then on to
    the fuel rail which contains the pressure regulator. Pressure is 41-45 psi.
    I have had the 10 micron filter start to clog up, which is indicated by increased fuel pressure at the output of the fuel pumps. By luck it showed up on the engine run-up, indicated by a fuel pressure of 52 pounds and
    an alarm from the engine monitor. So back to the ramp and replace the 10 micron filter element. Later exam with a 30 power viewer showed about
    half of the element holes full of a black substance which I suspect came
    from the refueling hose.

was that black stuff from the fuel hose at lupien or do they still have mogas there? I was getting some really fine black stuff in my glass filters , that turned out to be from one of those hand pumps that I was using on a barrel .
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

No I don't think it came from the fuel at Lupein ( now named A.J. Eisenberg). They sell mogas but currently have a problem that the 92 octane tank was getting low so the owner ordered 87 to refill. So now
    the mogas is some in between octane, So I add 1gal of 100LL to 4 gal
    of the blend. This was recommended by the rotax shop at KAWO. I took
    two 5gal containers of the mix and ran them through a 10 micron filter and found nothing in fuel. I am watching fuel pressure to see if there is more
    in the system. None of the other screens had anything in them.

I refuse to refer to it as eisenberg airport as I worked for one of his companies in the late 70s , can't believe he's not in jail . on the others hand I hold Wes lupien in the highest regard as he taught me how to fly and gave me my check ride
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa