Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: MGL Avionics ??

Default MGL Avionics ??

Just looking for comments pros and cons regarding MGL Avionics. How do they stack up against Dynon and Garmin? Their prices seem to be lower then the competition.
    Thanks
    Brian

Default Re: MGL Avionics ??

I replaced my 25 year old WesTech gauges with 2 MGL singles. I am happy with their products and ease of installation and setup. I have not used their EFIS but followed it for awhile on their forum. MGLs products have matured and appear to be on par with others.

Ralph

Brian,
    On my model 7 Super Sport project, I decided to go MGL. I installed their Explorer Lite 8.5" panel and the MGL V6 comm radio. Didn't have room for the 10" panels and the 7" looked a little too small for my eyes. Dynon didn't offer a mid sized panel. Haven't yet fired them up. Will be a little while before I do. Have to say MGL's been very good to work with so far. Matt has been very helpful. Install manuals were good. Lots of info also on their site. Very good features list for the price point.
    IMG_3290.jpg

I like Dynon products also as I've flown many many hours behide them. Dynon's service sounds very good from those few that needed any customer support after the sale. I don't think you could go too wrong with either. Dynon is a much larger company and some feel more comfortable going with the big guys. I went the other way. I did like the ease of the MGL RDAC module on the firewall and fewer wires going back through the firwall and the ease of the canbus system for adding components. I know guys flying with the MGL radio and they are pretty happy once dialed in for their aircraft.
    Dynon has a great reputation and now they make eveything you need in your insrument panel. Getting very good feedback from happy owners.
    Either way I think you'll be fine. Two good companies with very good product lines.

Garmin was not a consideration for me on panel selection ( I wanted to stick with one of our site sponsors) but folks also seem pretty happy with their system. Love their portable gps units. Have an Aera 500 with traffic and weather that will also be in my panel next to the MGL glass panel.

Another good company is GRT (Grand Rapids Technologies). I've flown behind their products for years also. Not site sponsors yet but hey, good folks non the less with good solid products.

Good luck Brian. Lots of great choices and good companies. We are blessed to be experimental aircraft builders when it comes to avionics.. Fun stuff. Can't wait to fly behind my new panel.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

I ended up getting a MGL E 1 engine monitor from Parts for aircraft in the United Kingdom last fall. Price was way better then any US supplier. He was very good to work with. JImChuk http://www.parts4aircraft.com/

One other thing I would suggest if you are shopping for avionics is how well does the stuff you are considering phase into the ADS-B 2020 mandate coming in only 3 years. Don't know about the others (except Garmin) but my Dynon Skyview system has been great for upgrading to ADS-B 2020. To be fully compliant with ADS-B (Out) all I had to do was install a replacement GPS antenna (identical mounting holes and dimensions & identical wiring); the Dynon transponder I already had was mode S and required no changes. Last week I went the other step and installed the Dynon ADS-B (In) module. My Skyview system was already set up to handle it and all I had to do was mount a very small black box and one new antenna (similar to a transponder antenna) and connect 4 wires plus one antenna coax cable. For both these ADS-B in & out installations nothing had to be done as far as new cutouts or holes on my panel face; all the new information reads out and is controlled on my existing Skyview screen.

As you can tell I am very pleased with the Dynon system and with only a couple days of easy work I am now fully compatible with the ADS-B 2020 mandatory (Out) and the optional (In). In-cockpit weather and traffic on a screen you can actually read in bright sunlight running on ship's power rather than batteries is really great. I'm sure there are other systems that are similarly good, but I wanted to relate my recent personal experience.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Quote Originally Posted by DesertFox4 View Post
    Brian,
    On my model 7 Super Sport project, I decided to go MGL. I installed their Explorer Lite 8.5" panel and the MGL V6 comm radio. Didn't have room for the 10" panels and the 7" looked a little too small for my eyes. Dynon didn't offer a mid sized panel. Haven't yet fired them up. Will be a little while before I do. Have to say MGL's been very good to work with so far. Matt has been very helpful. Install manuals were good. Lots of info also on their site. Very good features list for the price point.
    IMG_3290.jpg

I like Dynon products also as I've flown many many hours behide them. Dynon's service sounds very good from those few that needed any customer support after the sale. I don't think you could go too wrong with either. Dynon is a much larger company and some feel more comfortable going with the big guys. I went the other way. I did like the ease of the MGL RDAC module on the firewall and fewer wires going back through the firwall and the ease of the canbus system for adding components. I know guys flying with the MGL radio and they are pretty happy once dialed in for their aircraft.
    Dynon has a great reputation and now they make eveything you need in your insrument panel. Getting very good feedback from happy owners.
    Either way I think you'll be fine. Two good companies with very good product lines.

Garmin was not a consideration for me on panel selection ( I wanted to stick with one of our site sponsors) but folks also seem pretty happy with their system. Love their portable gps units. Have an Aera 500 with traffic and weather that will also be in my panel next to the MGL glass panel.

Another good company is GRT (Grand Rapids Technologies). I've flown behind their products for years also. Not site sponsors yet but hey, good folks non the less with good solid products.

Good luck Brian. Lots of great choices and good companies. We are blessed to be experimental aircraft builders when it comes to avionics.. Fun stuff. Can't wait to fly behind my new panel.
    Any updates on your panel?