Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Garmin Panel - trying to figure out all the details

Default Garmin Panel - trying to figure out all the details

So as I try to plan my build and work out costs, I'm looking at trying to determine all the things (little and big) needed to complete a panel. I don't want just this panel costs x, but looking to try and include the things like antenna, batteries, and whatever else I don't know about or understand yet.

I know everyone has opinions, but I've decided on Garmin, and want to stick to all Garmin products. I want a clean simple panel, so plan on remote/hidden mount items. (like comm)

I also want to make sure I can fly day and night VFR and OTT - which i know probably adds a few things I won't need 90% of the time - but this is what I want. Along with autopilot.

So, here's the list I have so far. If anyone can help point out things I'm missing would be great.

• G3X Touch 10" PFD
    • G3X Touch 10" MFD (which would double as my backup PFD for night vfr/ott - I think that's allowed?)
    • GMU 11 - magnetometer
    • GSU 25 - ADAHRS
    • GTP 59 - temp probe
    • GTR 20 - remote comm
    • GA 56 low profile antenna
    • GMC 307 auto pilot (might delete and just use controls on G3X)
    • Servos for AP
    • GTX 45R transponder
    • GPS 20A (adsb out)
    • GEA 24 engine module for rotax
    • GAD 27 Electronic Adapter Unit
    • ELT
    • Battery (what kind are people using? Is this the same as the starter battery? Or use a second backup as well?)

So, it's a big list, which adds up fast. Do I need to look for wiring harness? What about fuses? What are people using? Where do I look for those? And switches for master etc. ?

Thanks. It all seems pretty daunting right now. It's a big undertaking so I want to make sure I understand the full scope.

Default Re: Garmin Panel - trying to figure out all the details

I used this for fuses. https://www.aircraftspruce.ca/pages/...userelay-1.php

Sorry I just realized hats the Canadian site. Tha unit is very high quality. I love it. I have it mounted under the panel face down on the passenger side. It’s easy to get at the fuses and keeps the panel clean. Much cheaper than CBs. I’m sure others will have opinions but this one I’m very happy with.

I bought all my switches off amazon. 25amp DC switches. Covers everything I need. Edit(I had to buy a couple switches from kitfox to match my round rockers and have dpdt switches)

I also felt it was daunting at the start but one piece at a time and it becomes fun. This probably ended up being my favourite part of the build.

Edit: if you feel the aero electric connection is too much to read start to front, just read the chapters that cover the things you are thinking about. Before you know it, the entire book is read.
    Last edited by Esser; 01-13-2018 at 12:25 PM.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

I install the g3x for friends and have it in my own Rv. You’re going to love it. Looking through your list, you’re missing the 2 ap servos, plus don’t forget all of the associated install kits. You only need me module for the g3x which comes with the LRU kit. The gps 20 module does not come with a garmin 35 antenna which is required for the WAAS position source. I believe you would be better off nixing the gps 20 module and just getting the gps internal to the gtx45. It does include the antenna. Unless of course you foresee wanting to go IFR down the road, order the gtn625 for $5500 if garmin is still offering the package deal with the g3x. Then you can use it for position source. Also you only have 1 AHRS, the g5 would give you a battery backup and also give an extra ahrs if the GSU 25 went TU. But a Daniels afm8 off eBay and build your own harnesses. Way cheaper and you have the tools. I just built all of the harnesses for a rv8 I’m starting on in 5 hours. Feel free to pm me and I can add in any other details or answer questions. Also, the garmin x team is available to answer any questions and are happy to help.

I found the switches and circuit breakers (I prefer these to fuses) to add up to quite a cost. I used 7 switches and 12 CB's from Aircraft Spruce. I think I remember a couple switches provided in the FWF kit, the master and the keyed ignition.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Also eyeball vents (nice ones are not cheap), 12v outlet and USB ports. May want a glove box (I find it very handy). A vertical card compass.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Don't forget engine sensors, coolant temp probe, oil temp and pressure, EGT, CHT, etc.

Ralph

Quote Originally Posted by jiott View Post
    Also eyeball vents (nice ones are not cheap), 12v outlet and USB ports. May want a glove box (I find it very handy). A vertical card compass.
    Compass not needed if you have a back up battery and the gmu 11.

Quote Originally Posted by rv9ralph View Post
    Don't forget engine sensors, coolant temp probe, oil temp and pressure, EGT, CHT, etc.

Ralph
    Do these not come with the engine? I'm planning on 912is and thought they did.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberwolf View Post
    I install the g3x for friends and have it in my own Rv. You’re going to love it. Looking through your list, you’re missing the 2 ap servos, plus don’t forget all of the associated install kits. You only need me module for the g3x which comes with the LRU kit. The gps 20 module does not come with a garmin 35 antenna which is required for the WAAS position source. I believe you would be better off nixing the gps 20 module and just getting the gps internal to the gtx45. It does include the antenna. Unless of course you foresee wanting to go IFR down the road, order the gtn625 for $5500 if garmin is still offering the package deal with the g3x. Then you can use it for position source. Also you only have 1 AHRS, the g5 would give you a battery backup and also give an extra ahrs if the GSU 25 went TU. But a Daniels afm8 off eBay and build your own harnesses. Way cheaper and you have the tools. I just built all of the harnesses for a rv8 I’m starting on in 5 hours. Feel free to pm me and I can add in any other details or answer questions. Also, the garmin x team is available to answer any questions and are happy to help.
    Thanks, I'll take a look at those changes and try to understand it some more. I was thinking of a G5, but thought the second G3X would just override that need?

Quote Originally Posted by tracstarr View Post
    Thanks, I'll take a look at those changes and try to understand it some more. I was thinking of a G5, but thought the second G3X would just override that need?
    G5 has its own gps and internal antenna, ahrs, and backup battery. A second g3x screen would require all 3 of these to provide the redundancy you get with the g5.

The gsu 25 ahrs is independent of the screens and the second screen would need its own gps antenna to function as a backup for the system. Plus, a second battery, however you would want to skin that cat.

I left out the details of the main bus and essential backup bus as there are 1000 different ways to do it. Recommend you read bob knuckolls book and decide for yourself how you want to wire up the electrical. Each piece of garmin equipment provides a 2 diode separated 12v inputs to assist you with whatever setup you choose.