Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Travel in a Kitfox

Default Travel in a Kitfox

Can anyone tell me if I am being realistic with my plans. I am not a pilot yet, but plan on getting my license this fall. I want to buy a Kitfox and put floats on it, for use mainly short trips to local lakes etc. But I also hope to fly across country from time to time. from say, Seattle to Miami Florida, given reasonable weather conditions , what would be a reasonable timeframe for a flight plan? Some people I talk to say flying across country in a 110 mph plane is unrealistic. Any experienced opinions would be appreciated!

Thank You,
    Bandit

Default Re: Travel in a Kitfox

I am asking if it is realistic, some people say it is not! I personally think it is but because I have no experience, I want advice from people like yourself that are or have done this sort of travel! I know it is possible as is driving around North America, although that would be something most people would only want to do once! (opinions will vary of course). It seems like traveling in a Kitfox and seeing North America would be alot of fun but I am not retired and can only tale 5 weeks total per year, in which I would like to do 2-3 long trips per year!

Thanks
    Bandit

One of the forum members did Denver to Alaska, with a really nice writeup on everything: http://www.teamkitfox.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=1711

I would say with the proper planning, it would be quite fun and definitely realistic ^_^

Definitely realistic, I have done it twice in a 150 mph plane with next to no storage (varieze). Would do it again in my kitfox which so far has only been as far as Oshkosh. I recommend the book Flight of Passage abou two kids who make the flight in a Cub. If I where planning such a flight today I would allow for 2-4 weeks depending on what I wanted to do along the way.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Quote Originally Posted by bandit View Post
    I am asking if it is realistic, some people say it is not! I personally think it is but because I have no experience. It seems like traveling in a Kitfox and seeing North America would be alot of fun but I am not retired and can only tale 5 weeks total per year, in which I would like to do 2-3 long trips per year! Thanks
    Bandit
    Good Morning,
    This is an interesting question that arises from time to time and one very important issue to consider is the fact that not all Kitfox's are the same. Would I want to make that trip in a Model 1 or 2 ? Most likely not although it could definately be an adventure. That is what most people that are not in the Kitfox community think a Kitfox is.. From the Model IV on to the current S7SS it is a completely different environment. I know of several later model Kitfox's that have travelled from all over the lower 48 to Point Barrow Alaska....more than once and plan on doing something similar again... There was even one that flew from Madrid, Spain to Oshkosh...
    Personally, I have made the trip to Florida, Oshkosh, Arizona, and the Bahamas (from Idaho) in the S7SS with 2 people and baggage. The S7SS is a great travelling machine with room for 2 and their baggage. We have made Oshkosh in 1 day (11 hrs) and Florida in 2 days (17 hrs) although that is not the norm. Oshkosh we plan a minimum of 2 days and look at weather as a day delay and Florida as a 3 day with a day weather delay. These are minimums for us... 2 years ago it took us 5 days to Florida due to weather. This year it was 3 days to Sebring and a day hop (3 hours) to North Eleuthera Bahamas.
    The pics are of the baggage to the Bahamas remember to inlcude the life raft (required) and life vests... with me at 6' and Paul at 6'2.

So.. Realistic? Absolutely and alot of fun! If you plan the trips as a vacation there are some great adventures along the way. Try Dolphin island for a lunch stop or Canyon lands for a mini vacation along the way.. or even New Orleans for some great Cajun food.

PS: We are looking at another side trip to the Bahamas or Keys early next year. Did I mention we are flying from Southwest Idaho
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jdmcbean; 08-14-2011 at 11:11 AM.
    John McBean
    www.kitfoxaircraft.com

"The Sky is not the Limit... It's a Playground"

Thanks for all your input! Maybe someone can help me out with this ?!
    Full fuel 27 gallons x 6.5lbs per =176 lbs
    empty weight of Kitfox is =750 lbs
    2 180lbs occupants =360 lbs
    Total =1286 lbs
    This only leaves useful load of =34 lbs
    I assume my calculations are flawed, or am I missing something?

Also I plan to operate on floats which, as I understand gives a gross weight of 1430lbs but most amphibs specs I looked at are pushing 200lbs!How much weight do you lose with taking all the conventional landing gear off?

I have decided on purchasing either the Kitfox or the Highlander and as I was planning on ordering a week ago, I am still confused on these calculations! I am hoping on being able to haul 2 mountain bikes with us, but am not sure if either of these planes can accommodate this. I like that the Kitfox has a higher top speed and that it can be registered in a higher gross with upgraded landing gear. This leads me to believe that the Kitfox is built stronger than need be for LSA! I like the storage area in the Highlander as it looks as though you could sleep in it if need be, and stall speed is a bit slower! I plan on going down to Idaho in the next week or 2 so I can see these planes and hopefully get a test flight!
    Since you posted here John, is this a possibility?

Thank You,
    Bandit

If you check the specs on the Model V and later KF`s you will find the gross of 1400 or 1550 lbs depending on the model and year. Of course you need at least a PPL to fly either of these.

Cheers
    Don

Your calculations seem correct if you are limited to an LSA. I believe the kitfox 7 was designed before the notion of LSA and is typically built for a max gross of 1550 lbs. The plane is a very strong and capable machine which we have packed with camping gear or folding bicycles depending on the mission. I think two mountain bikes may be a bit of a reach
    Last edited by Dorsal; 08-14-2011 at 12:10 PM.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Yes I plan to stay in LSA if possible! So in a Kitfox 7 you can load folding bycicles? I havent seen one in real but in pictures it looks like a narrow area to load through above the seats and below the top of fuse!

Thanks
    Bandit

http://www.teamkitfox.com/Forums/att...1&d=1301881565

or read the thread
    http://www.teamkitfox.com/Forums/sho...t=folding+bike

And I load them through the removable turtle deck.
    Last edited by Dorsal; 08-14-2011 at 12:52 PM.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive