Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 582 Power Issue??

Default 582 Power Issue??

582 Total rebuild at 194.0hrs in 2004 by Solo Aviation for plane sale i guess. Long story short after short runs over a long time I bought it with 279 hrs. run great until 11/1/2015 at 319hrs 4 min run up, mag test fine full power 6250rpm (prop pitched for speed). 100 ft down runway power falls to 5000rpm. Cold morning maybe ice so taxi back, hold brakes and power up 6200 and holds while dragging locked wheels about 25 ft over 30ish seconds. So launch again, same thing, go out and fly kinda committed out of runway. In the sky I can maintain 5600rpm. So back to hanger, Change plugs (hrs unknown) Check floats on carbs, (fine). Check all my automotive gas lines after gas collator, their fine. Gas collator bowl fine no debris. So rebuild fuel pump just in case. Oh yea now check screen in gas collator, covered with a clear film that has abstructed the screen. Ah hah, clean put all back together, tie plane off start and 6250 for 4 mins, wow was that scary. Out to runway, launch now only falls off to 5600 rpms. Every time on take off but not tied off. So thats why I'm at a loss. Why the power drop on roll out? In the sky level flight it will maintain 6000 rpms but don't know for how long as that exceeds the vne of 100mph for the plane (kitfox 2). Any body else ever run into this with the 582 Grey Head.

Default Re: 582 Power Issue??

when you shut it off after its warm do a mag check before you shut down. It could be a bad pickup coil. I had a similar problem on a gyro with a 582. I noticed a fluctuating rpm in the air and it would shut off (when I was shutting down)on only one mag after it was hot. What was happening was the pickup coil was not totally crapping out. cold it would work but once it was hot the electronics would break down and not work right. Therefore I was only getting rpms off one side and occasionally the other and that was why I was getting fluctuating rpms. You can ohm the pickup coils without taking them out. I don't remember for sure the numbers but I think the old style in the 80-90 range and new style in the 140ish range. (search testing rotax pickup coils)
    Mark

The foreign material on the screen was telling you there may be a fuel issue causing your problem. Is there another fuel filter in the system?

Has car gas been used in the tanks? Ethanol dissolving some of the resin in the tanks?

Are you running a thermostat? Is your water temp at least 150 deg before applying full power?
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

I'm curious as to the type and brand of 2-stroke oil you are using. Are you pre-mixing or using oil injection ? Ethanol or Non-E gas, what octane ? Dual filters (auto type canister with paper media or different type with metal screen) on the lines after the fuel pump.

I think birddog is on to something. I would double check all gas lines, filters, and do some fuel flow testing. What are your EGTs doing when the power drops off? If you are going lean, EGTs should go up. Try putting on the enrichers/chokes when the power drops off. If rpm goes down it's not to lean, if rpm goes up it's to lean. Jim Chuk

My thermostat has always run about 145, and the gas collator is the only filter on the system. As far as the mag test its always good. My egts have always gone pretty high when i cut back on power 1275 and 1250. Haven't really looked on take off during the power drop. I've been trying to run co op's non ethonal 91 octane gas, but do occasionally get stuck with shells 93 octane (ethonal). It's the tie off with the 4 min run at 6200 that is confussing me. Whats different between that and rolling down the runway? I am thinking about installing a electric fuel pump for take offs to see if that helps. As far as the 2 cycle oil, it is injected and I use the same as previous owners AV-2 Black gallon jug with blue lable. Had issues with injection when first got plane but that was too much oil dripping out of filter when parked. Annual found kinked cable under dash wasn't letting the oil injector shut off or the throttle, thats why I had a high idle 3000rpm. Thats all been fixed. There was a couple times while working on the injector issue I added oil to gas to make sure I was getting enough..

Running ethanol gas in those tanks can soften and cause the resin to slowly dissolve and buildup in the fuel screen in the tank, the lines, filters and carbs, eventually causing the fuel to stop flowing fast enough to feed the engine.

If it was me, First thing would be to plug the header tank vent and pull the fuel line as it enters the fuel pump to check the flow. If your able do one tank at a time.

You have checked the floats,I assume you checked the float level.
    Fuel tap off ,remove the bowls,are they the same and rotax setting height?
    EGT's when the power drops will tell you a lot,
    Good EGT and power on the ground and in the air but low on rollout(especially a rough strip)would make me want to be sure of the float level,also have a look at the vent tubes,although unlikely are easy to check

I think the best clue you have provided is the residue found on the gascolater screen. What that is and where it's coming from needs to be investigated. Sound like a fuel restriction-starvation-delivery issue.

In the past I've had fuel-oil seperation problems when using E-fuel pre-mix that sat for a few weeks. I have found carb inlet screens (smaller Rotax engines) choked with a sticky clear film. Using Non-E fuel and API-TC rated oil solved the problem completely. I've had no Tank resin problems on my Kitfox but you should look at that possibilty carefully. I will not use E-fuel in my Kitfox or Ultralight.

The guys with more experience can chime in here but my understanding is that there should be in-line filters after the fuel pump on the carb supply lines. My Kitfox was purchased having small auto-tractor type cannister paper media filters on those lines. I opted to use stainless screen media Golan peak flow mini filters there instead.

I personally would not fly the plane again until the problem is found.