Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: SDS CIP-2 Ignition System

Default SDS CIP-2 Ignition System

In the previous discussion on ignition problems, P Morel mentioned he put on a new ignition system now marketed by SDS. It's called the CPI system.

www.sdsefi.com/cpi.htm

I went to their website and this appears to be a programmable system that would let us get rid of these $1000.00 Rotax modules. For example, based on rpm, you can retard the timing to get, in effect a softstart. Then, when the rpm gets to, say 1600 you can program the timing to it's normal value.
    In addition, looks like you could set timing based on MP too.

I have sent them an email requesting installation and setup instructions and any initial mapping that they may have for the Rotax 912. Also asked them for pricing for a complete system; controller, duel coil pack and hardware necessary to install the system. I'll report back when I hear from them.

Is anybody else familiar with this system??? Has anyone else installed one?

I think it's neat that we are beginning to see some really good products coming into the aftermarket for our engines. Epoxy floats instead of foam ones, and now a new ignition system ( at least new to me ) .

Would appreciate hearing if anyone has any experience with this system

Rodney

Default Re: SDS CIP-2 Ignition System

I set up my EFI from SDS to have control of ignition timing through this unit but have not installed the unit yet. Looks like a great product.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

FYI - I called SDS and talked to them about their system.

Basically, a kit which includes 1 CPI programmer, two coil packs, the kit for the Hall sensor and pickup with 8 plug wires comes to $1169.00.

The CPI comes pre-programmed for the Rotax.

So - for about $1200.00, one can replace both Rotax modules, get a soft start capability and have the ability to tune the engine.

Pretty sure this is going on my "To Do" list. Especially if I have trouble with a Rotax module.

Regards
    Rodney

Is this a self powered system? (not a deal breaker but curious)
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

From the research I did on it, it needs a battery to operate. I think it would make sense to perhaps change out one half of the Rotax ignition with this system. Then you have spare parts for the remaining Rotax ignition, and more redundancy perhaps?? JImChuk