Bushrod.jpg

Peter Johnson (lbushrod) - Paradise, CA
Kitfox Model II
Jabiru 2200

I purchased my Kitfox II in November 2004 in Corona, CA. It was built by Johan Piertse, well known for his Maule modifications. I flew the Rotax 582 for about 75 hours before deciding to buy a Jabiru 2200. The Rotax performed well but I did not like the density altitude performance and fuel burn, nor did I like truckers on the road passing me going down a freeway.

Starting the Jabiru conversion in February 2005, I was flying by the end of March. It took some time to finish cosmetics but now I have a real airplane that is a joy to fly.

I replaced the 2 stroke instruments for the Jab, added a Micro Air transponder and changed out my Pilot III for the Garmin 196. Having learned to fly in Alaska where visibility can change in a heartbeat, I appreciated the HSI feature of the 196; cheap insurance. I installed a preformed Lexan windshield and door glass, built and installed a new turtle deck with a hatch for access to my baggage compartment.

I acquired a set of ½ wheel pants from a Maule and a storage pod for carrying more bulky items on an air camping trip. The pod holds two folding camp chairs, two fishing poles and a small shade awning. I mostly use the pod; the pants don’t do much but look good.

My lady was handy with a sewing machine so she fashioned new seat covers, rear deck cover with storage pocket and created the sacks for the baggage compartment.

The plane has two 6 gallon wing tanks plus a header that gives me an effective range of three hours; about the same range as my bladder.

I started with a Sensenich scimitar prop for its short field and decent cruise performance but also bought a Tennessee Prop for an even better cruise. I get 1200 - 1350 fpm at 3150 rpm with the Sensenich and 1000 – 1150 fpm at 2950 for the Tennessee prop. I can easily exceed VNE at full power. Normal cruise is 2750 rpm at about 95 mph TAS with a fuel burn of about 2.8 – 3 GPH. My favorite airspeed is about 2450 at 60 – 70 mph but the Jab likes it above 2600.

The plane has a slight nose down pitch at cruise and no baggage so I put some reflex adjustment into the mixer. With that I can trim to hands off straight and level but I do sacrifice some roll rate on the flaperons.

I was not aiming so much for aesthetics as function but I am absolutely pleased with my little Bushrod. See you up there!

Peter Johnson

Dual Brakes so my Lady can fly.jpg
Sunbrella Fabric - Fade Resistant.jpg
I keep it tail up in the hangar.jpg