Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Light Sport Weight Limit

Default Light Sport Weight Limit

I was told that the FAA was working hard to announce at Airventure the weight limit will go to 1700 Lbs, well that has changed.

The paperwork is moving around the FAA and it is to remove the weight limit.

The feeling is that if the aircraft meets all other requirements, such as seats,
    speeds and fixed pitch prop, weight will take care of its own.

Stand By.

David Kelm
    7SS 912iS just certificated

Default Re: Light Sport Weight Limit

Do you have a source for this? I'd be interested in reading more.

Rumors have been flying around since LS was first proposed of weight increases. No official rule proposal has come of it to date.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Back story:

I am a DAR and am not able to cert my airplane. I have had a close friend that is a DAR wanting to do my inspection. In our talking the LS weight limit came up and I ask about the 1700 Lb . As it goes a high level FAA guy was going to be in town for a meeting with us ( it was the same day as my
    knee replacement surgery, I missed the meeting).

This person advised they feel the weight limit is not needed. The speeds
    limit the weight as it works. He advised this is in the signature process.
    I think they want it done by Airventure. I work with and meet with a lot of
    FAA people and this is a hot point now, not a clue why.
    I do know the EAA is pushing hard.

this will make a lot of Factory airplanes in the LS class

I have been a DAR 30 years. This could come out tomorrow or 6 yrs from now
    The FAA has a lot of hoops to jump though.
    David Kelm

I was initially involved in the creation of the LSA rule. I pushed for 1650 pounds as I knew FBO's / flight training schools needed inexpensive trainers and aircraft like the Cessna 150. But the manufacturers wanted to sell their LSA's as trainers so they pushed to keep the weight lower (probably the single biggest reason Sport Pilot traing has become a dismal failure with FBO's and flight schools in my opinion).

Eventually the FAA moved weight from 1232 to 1320/1430 lbs, and indicated if LSA rule proved itself to be safe they would try to apply the medical benefits to private pilot (which they sort of did recently). When pushed again about raising LSA weights they were somewhat non comittal, justifying that you could now reasonably fly most anything as a private pilot with basic med. While somewhat true, not everyone is a private pilot. And basic med is not as beneficial as the drivers license only requirement enjoyed by light sport pilots.

I've been away from much of that all lately, but am really encouraged to hear the FAA might be working on increasing LSA weight limits once again. They need to do that if they ever want to see LSA traing embraced by the existing traing schools, which would obviously make LSA a more successful program overall. Plus, many flying LSA find themselves flying overgross because of the increasing empty weights that seems to happen to all aircraft as they evolve. Raising the weight would really make sense.

And while they're at it, change the rule to allow in flight adjustable props. When you see the high tech glass panels in many LSA's, comparably operating an in flight adjustable prop is no more difficult to learn than those glass panels. And as LSA continues to evolve, as the aircraft get heavier they need more thrust. Short of bigger heavier higher horsepower engines being used, you can save a lot of empty weight by continuing to use engines like the Rotax 912/914 series. Or better yet, the Rotax 915, which was designed to use an in flight adjustable prop to effectively use the thrust it can make. But then again, every aircraft engine is more efficient with an in flight adjustable pitch prop. Same reason NO ONE builds a single speed automobile.

Ok, enough of my rambling...there's my pitch.

I have been a DAR 30 yrs. Both MIDO and FSDO, the FAA is doing things that blow my mind. They are looking at what we in the EAB world and giving credit to the MFGs for all of our safe hrs of flying.

There is talk of a STC project putting a large EFIS screen in a small Cessna.

David K
    7SS 912 iS

Bringing this topical back up to see if anyone has seen or heard more.
    I have been on a mission to sell off many of my 'toys' in the past year to enable the buying of a new/newer aircraft. Since I have pretty much narrowed my choices down to 3 different aircraft, the possibility of being able to get an aircraft with more capabilities, mainly haul a decent load 'legally', is a game changer. There are other options out there that I would consider if the light sport weight limit is raised.

Having owned/own several different LS types over the past 10+ years, getting something with a little heavier wing loading and useful load would allow me to use a plane for more than the typical 'joy ride' on a nice day. Most of these LS types are not fun (my opinion) when the winds get much over 10-12 kts.

Hi All, super new here and thought to share my thoughts

I live in the San Fernando Valley in Los Angeles and used to rent a cessna 162 skycatcher from a flight school. I called the other day to reserve the plane to find out they decided to sell it instead of renting it. Looks like they didn't have enough renters to justify the cost of upkeep.
    As a Sport Pilot i'm left with 0 options at the moment unless i chose to drive in severe traffic to santa monica airport where i think there are a few LSA left for rent.

The weight change would be amazing. We allow people like me to expand the options and rent a 152 or something similar.
    My other option is to buy/build one obviously and that's why i'm here considering a kitfox.

It would make a lot of sense to remove the weight limits altogether for light sport aircraft, as that would bring a lof of existing aircraft into that category AND would help flight schools and FBO's to offer affordable pilot training. It would also make a lot more aircraft available to buy for Sport Pilot certificate holders.

I hope the FAA is successful in that mission. It would make the whole LSA program more effective, more like it was originally designed to do.

It is still in progress but appears that it will not be a simple bump in weight in the existing rules.

Here is a link from a couple of days ago.

Note that gross weight will probably be determined by a new system other than a fixed-weight number, but the exact formula is pending while FAA officials finalize the regulation plans.

To repeat, ALL these objectives are on FAA’s list for inclusion in eventual rule making.

“Eventual” is a key word, however…
    https://generalaviationnews.com/2018...port-aircraft/

I wish the process was faster but it will take a couple of years to know how things shake out.

This is a step in the right direction. The downside I see is the guys that are out there shopping for their 'once in a lifetime' purchase of the plane that will be the last one they will/can buy, is again put on hold since the available market of use able Light Sport types is very limited unless you are satisfied with a fantastic plastic type. These lightly constructed aircraft seem to be on the salvage sites with an amazing regularity. The ones that will actually haul two people and fuel are borderline durable.

I currently am flying under Basic Med, which others have said is a stop gap albeit somewhat a farce (in my opinion) as it is so close to a 3rd class medical its almost hilarious. Yes, I am being a bit sarcastic.

Those of us that are retirement age and still have a few years left of flying, just want to be able to take a friend up for a flight and be legal while still being able to actually go someplace other than around the patch a time or two before having to land from fuel starvation!

I wish they would put out the GW figure/math so manufacturers and prospective buyers can at least plan ahead. As it is, by the time the regulation comes out, many of us looking to make that high dollar purchase will have moved on to other pursuits. I am commenting this way due to having heard these rumors for the past year and have delayed purchasing in hopes that I can buy something I can actually use when the day comes that I quit getting the Basic med or 3rd class.

Rant over.