Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: has anyone built a radio controlled kitfox?

Default Re: has anyone built a radio controlled kitfox?

the model looks good. I'm surprised there was not one out there yet.

I've been toying with the idea of making a 1/4 scale Kitfox with folding wings and a gas engine. What slows me down is the thought of welding up a scale fuselage, I wouldn't want to make a scale Kitfox fuselage out of sticks of wood, it just wouldn't be right.

I haven't researched the airfoil to see how the actual KF airfoil would work scaled down. It might be better to use a proven RC airfoil that provides good slow flight characteristics. You could change the airfoil without loosing the scale appearance.

John McB, do you need some help with your model? I was into RC building and flying for many years. I've done gas, glow & electric powered planes from small foamies to 1/4 scale size. I would love to see what you have sometime.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Ken, to give you an idea on the size of my first 2 models , here they are next to a yardstick. The wingspan on the small one is only 18" and then the next attempt I built bigger with a 32" wingspan.

John, even though I know you were joking about the IFR panel, you aren't too far off of the problem. I have always loved to build my models with scale details (the instrument panel you are referring to is actually a picture of the panel from my full scale Kitfox, scaled down to fit ) and I put a full cockpit in both models which of course adds weight. Also I built them with doors that open , which made that center section over the gear way too weak for the rigors of flight because they are made out of balsa. The one I am working on now is a 40 inch wingspan that will have less detail and more strength. what they call standoff scale. I am anxious to see what Mr. Mcbean is developing.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ok, I nearly had a Coke come out my nose when John replied. So close to the so frequent "we have those in stock". LOL
    Eddie

Quote Originally Posted by airlina View Post
    John, even though I know you were joking about the IFR panel, you aren't too far off of the problem...
    Yes, I was kidding of course, but your models are really neat... I love the details. I grew up building model airplanes - hand-launched gliders, rubber band, free flight, control line, and R.C. Built a couple of radios in the early days of pulse, escapements etc., then Heath Kit and finally King and others when I had a little more "disposable income" (my wife got a teaching job). I've got a couple of electric park flyers in various stages of completion floating around my workshop right now. I don't even think about that... gotta' get my Kitfox flying!
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

I guess many of us had our start in RC models; I sure did. I still have these two models. The Noorduyn Norseman float plane is my favorite (you can see the close resemblance to my Kitfox color scheme). It is 85" wingspan powered by a Saito 100 4-stroke glow engine. The other model is a scratch built from plans American Eagle A129 biplane; 60" wingspan powered with Saito 72 4-stroke glow. Right after building and flying the American Eagle I jumped into full size and bought my Kitfox kit, and have never looked back.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

WOW, Jim, those are really nice!
    - Gary
    S7 SuperSport Tri-gear
    w/Rotax 912, Oratex, Dynon

Spectacular Jim , hard to tell they are not full scale well done!

I second the last 2 comments!
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Thanks. I'm just glad one thing led to another until I had to build a Kitfox.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS