Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: freedom of control movement, or lack thereof

Default freedom of control movement, or lack thereof

I finally had the opportunity to fly in a Kitfox 5 and loved every minute of it! I did have one question following the experience though. My father and I recently completed an RV-4 and the control movement in that design is almost perfectly free. Everything moves like it’s on ball bearings. On this particular Kitfox however, I had to purposefully place the controls where I wanted them to go. On the ground, the stick was notably heavy, and the rudders had a distinct weight to them, almost as if there was a friction control in the works. In flight it seemed like I had to really lean on the pedals to get a response. They were far from being “free floating” and seemed quite unnaturally heavy.

So is this a normal condition due to how the control linkage is engineered in the Kitfox, or perhaps the relative weight of the flaperons to standard ailerons?

Cupar, SK, Canada CLC4 Loon Creek Airfield

Default Re: freedom of control movement, or lack thereof

Something doesn't sound right.

It should be light fingertip pressure on the stick and toe pressure on the rudder pedals.

The faster you are going the less inputs required.
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    Airmaster AP332CTFH-WWR70W
    Summit Aircraft Wheel Skis
    C-FOXW

Default Re: freedom of control movement, or lack thereof

Doesn't sound right to me either, on my Series 5 its fingertip control on the stick and I always wear light footwear so I don't overcontrol on the rudder. Just the weight of my foot resting on a pedal will get the incilinometer a 1/4-1/2 ball out of center. Bruce N199CL