Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Murle Williams Latch Instructions / Pictures

Default Murle Williams Latch Instructions / Pictures

I was working on my doors for my 2008 SS Kit today and noted that my door latches don't look like anything in my 2008 manual or the current manual.

During my research, I noted two things, one is that the new build manual uses screws instead of rivets, but too late for that, I have already drilled the first door, so on to rivets for me....all 56 per door.

The latches that I have appear to be the Murle Williams latches, but can't seem to find any good pictures of them mounted or instructions of how they are supposed to be mounted.

If I don't get any answers here, I guess that I can try and give Murle a call next week, but am hoping someone here can assist.

It is probably simple, but I am just not seeing it and there doesn't seem to be any good way to mount it with the limited door gap around the frame.

TIA

Default Re: Murle Williams Latch Instructions / Pictures

Tia,

Does the latch system look anything like this?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

No, this is pretty much a one piece unit with an allen wrench looking device on a key ring, what looks like is likely a friction plate (small piece of angle). It has two Philips head bolts that screw into the one piece unit.

I cant Rule out, by your description, if this what your looking for.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That isn't it either... The handle is plastic... It looks a lot like the one in this post: http://www.avidfoxflyers.com/index.p...latch-options/ except the mounting block is flat on the bottom

This is my "old" plane. These are the Murle Williams handles, just mounted on the leading edge of the door rather than the bottom.

Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

I actually just used that exact picture to demonstrate something close to what I have... The 7 has square tubing for the door frame and much smaller clearances around the frame.... I was concerned with the heads of the bolts on the ottim of the frame... Along with the additional space that would be consumed with the striker plate.

I have them on my Kitfox V. I had to dimple door frame and use button head screws to clear the bottom frame. It’s pretty much a wing window latch off a car.
    Sorry I don’t have pics.
    Brad Smith
    KF Vixen IO-240
    Flying when I have gas money

That is kind of what I was thinking... Possibly using some countersink screws... Did you use the striker plate?

Mine already had flush striker plates from earlier door latches. I just used them and let the door latch swing down lower to contact them. The latches are not level when closed but they're more out of the way while flying. I. Also have a tendency to slide out of my plane when exiting and didn't want to get my pants hung on a striker plate sticking up. I think mounting them on the leading edge of door like Larry's might work better though. Out of the way and might prevent door flutter like mine sometimes do at slow speeds and taxiing. Not sure though.
    Last edited by GMKman; 05-14-2018 at 12:27 PM.
    Brad Smith
    KF Vixen IO-240
    Flying when I have gas money