Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Grove gear rear brake line groove

Default Grove gear rear brake line groove

I'm replacing the nylaflow brake lines on my Model 5 on Grove Gear with the rear external groove. What is the preferred method for holding the brake line in this groove? The builder glued the lines in place and, for the most part, this has held up well over my time with the plane.

Thanks,
    shawn b.

Default Re: Grove gear rear brake line groove

I just used clear RTV to glue mine in. With everything cleaned up put a light bead of RTV in the grove, press the nylaflow line in the groove and hold it in there using several pieces of masking tape. Just leave the tape on till the RTV cures.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Thanks Phil. That appears to be the best option so will be going with that.

I used some of the two part glue that I used for other parts on the plane. I used a 5cc syringe from the pharmacy, drilled the tip out to 1/8". Lay a bead of epoxy in the groove and then tape the nylaflo in place with some wide masking tape top to bottom until the next day. Worked great on my first KF5. I'm going to do the same on this one.

Drilling the syringe out makes it much easier to pull the glue up into the syringe. I have several syringes so I use one for part A and another for part B. I store them in the containers they originally come in so I can use them over and over. I drill these out also.

I also use medicine dispensing cups. These are calibrated in 5cc increments. They work great for making small quantities of SuperFil or epoxy in.