Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possible Kitfox IV Classic Project?

Default Possible Kitfox IV Classic Project?

So I've come across this Kitfox IV Classic (originally purchased around 1995) that I'm interested in completing and would like to see if I can get some help on things I should be looking for as well as what you think this might be worth It basically has everything, but a prop. All covering and paint is done. Wings have been rigged, now removed, has the classic style landing gear, round cowl, never started Rotax 912 100hp, probably purchased around 2000-2005. Comes with avionics shown here, plus KY97A COM and GTX 320 not shown. Has the interior seats and many parts, but no prop. Have any idea what you would pay for this project? What should I look out for? Thanks

Default Re: Possible Kitfox IV Classic Project?

Probably around 20-22k your want to replace that header tank with an aluminum one
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Why replace header tank ?
    David McCormick
    Kitfox Classic IV powered by Jabiru 2200
    Based at Jersey Shore, Pa P96

Personal opinion....but I think if it were advertised for $22K it would be sold rather quickly. The owner could get more than that by parting it out if he wanted. Hate to see a plane that close to completion parted out though.

The poly header tanks have shown a tendency to leak and allow fumes in the cockpit. Not good.

Rick

Thanks for the feedback. Would their be any concerns with the engine sitting for so long? I would have to ask to see how long it's been sitting for, but I believe over 10 years and it has never been started. I could see Rotax recommending replacing all the rubber.

I would not be too concerned about the engine, I just picked up an airframe with engine attached that had been sitting outside in the weather not far from the ocean 7 years! It looked a mess with corroded tappet covers etc, after getting it home discovered it has never been started so was a new engine,and inside it is still like new with not a trace of moisture or corrosion. Rubber replacement for your engine, you could if you want, I would not think it will be necessary.

Hey Tom - just picked up another project?? Kitfox?

r
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)

Yes another Fox. William ( 8 yrs old)has claimed it so it will be a kidfox ))

The project looks SWEEEET! It has the old style pier burg fuel pump, (spelled wrong) and they are great and last and last but are no longer available. That one is new so should actually be fine, but get ready to replace it.
    Probably does not have a fuel return line with restrictor routed so you need to do that.
    Yep replace the header tank.
    I think I see a westac gauge, it will be fine but when it fails, you will want a new gauge/sender, as they are hard to come by.
    I fly that model and put a grove gear on it but thats just cause Im a ninny.
    Is that the old style engine mount? the new one is beefier, my old one was cracked and many others have had the same problem.
    Is the the CDI grounded with a single point bracket? fix that. a broken bracket is a dead stick landing.
    Ok, Im done