Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bubble door option

Default Re: Bubble door option

I saw a comment about the fuel tank drain valves being different if the bubble doors are installed. Please tell me about that. If they are different, can I specify that I want those fuel tank drain valves sent with the kit instead of the standard drains?[/QUOTE]

I have the bubble doors and the wing tank valves are not a problem. I just installed the hydraulic door lifts (those shock looking things)where the bubble doors wouldn't touch the valves. James Thomas

The flush valves look nicer, and allow you to open the door further.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Just to add some additional confusion to the mix, Steve, the Lexan door material as received from Kitfox are not flat sheets... they have a bend in them from the factory. They are made to fit tightly against the whole door frame. FWIW, I have Lexan and like them. I’m a skinny guy and don’t need as much shoulder room as some, and the Super Sport is already a little wider in that area than say a Mod. 4. Pros - less expensive and tougher/stronger than acrylic. Cons - less scratch resistant and vulnerable to attack by fuel.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Based on the position of the lift strut mounting tabs that were welded to my fuselage, and the lift struts I received from Kitfox, it was impossible to mount them where the doors would come anywhere close to hitting the standard drain valves. In fact, I wish my doors were able to open wider. I see some doors that open the same amount as mine, and others that obviously open wider. I wonder if Kitfox has adjusted the position where they install those tabs sometime in the past? Choosing a strut with a different length and throw would not solve this issue, as the tabs are fixed, as I said, and when fully collapsed the struts must allow full door closure of course. The attach point position on the door frames themselves makes very little difference, and certainly not enough to allow any appreciably wider opening, at least with what I got.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime

Quote Originally Posted by jrevens View Post
    I wonder if Kitfox has adjusted the position where they install those tabs sometime in the past?
    Maybe I'm misunderstanding. Don't the holes in those tabs have to be coaxial with the rear spar attach lug to fold the wings?

Because the bubble in the bubble door sticks out farther, you will want to install your gas struts so the bubble comes as close to the wing as practical (thus the flush drain valves) in order to have the door open as much as possible. Even at max opening it still requires a lot of ducking under.

A caution however, I installed mine so the bubble comes to within about 1/2" of the underside of the wing to give myself as much door opening as possible. The 1/2" seems like enough clearance but it is not. When my door is open and the engine is running, there is enough vibration and prop slipstream to cause the door to jump around enough to actually contact the wing, causing some abrasion on my door plexiglass. I recommend about 1" of clearance when everything is static. Because of this I don't fly with my door open. One of these days I will fix it, but it is not easy to do.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Quote Originally Posted by aviator79 View Post
    Maybe I'm misunderstanding. Don't the holes in those tabs have to be coaxial with the rear spar attach lug to fold the wings?
    “Lift struts” was a poor choice of words by me... what I was refering to are the door “lifting” struts or gas struts. Sorry about that.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime

I plan on bubble doors, but if there are unexpected expenses prior to picking up the kit (car accident, furnace failure...) then the plan may change.

Has anyone actually made their own bubble door transparency ?. I really should have ordered this option first up but as I live in Aus, freight will be a killer. Just interested to know ...
    David
    SS7 Builder

Hi David
    I have a 90's Vixen and a couple of years ago converted to full view doors. I purchased material from aviation dept in Home Depot. With a lot of care and a good heat gun managed to bend the material in order to get a good fits all around the perimeter frame. Used double sided tape and self tapping screws for attachment.
    It is no wider than before but provides clear viewing and does not interfere with wing tank valves. I believe the Vixen is the same width as S7.
    The material is pretty cheap and worth a try if you have the time!
    Cheers Don