Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bubble door option

Default Bubble door option

Is the bubble door option just the lexan, or is it a whole new door frame with the lexan? What comes in the option?

Default Re: Bubble door option

The bubble door option is not Lexan it is acrylic, very sturdy. The door frame is the same for either the flat glass or the bubble door. I just finished mounting my bubble door a couple weeks ago, I am glad I got this option for the extra room, looks good also.

So, if I order the standard kit, and later order he bubble doors, I remove the standard acrylic and then nstall the bubbles?

I guess you could add it later but there would be an extra cost for the separate shipping. It would be nice if you could find a Kitfox to sit in before you make this choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyboy66 View Post
    So, if I order the standard kit, and later order he bubble doors, I remove the standard acrylic and then nstall the bubbles?
    Hi Steve,

Just for clarification... the "standard" doors are polycarbonate, and the "bubble" doors are acrylic.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

So, the question as it should have been written is: If I order the bubble door option, it is $699 (or whatever the list price is) whether I get it with the kit or order later. That leads me to believe that it must be only the acrylic that I am buying, and not the whole door, correct? If I order later, then I add shipping to that price (I do understand this part).

So, the only difference between the two styles is the material that is mounted on the door frame?

I plan on getting the bubble door option, but am waiting until closer to delivery date to make sure I don’t have any surprise expenses that crimp me financially. I just want to understand the difference.

Steve

Steve, if you do not order the bubble doors at initial purchase, you will receive with the Fuselage Kit a couple of sheets of Lexan that you would then toss over into the scrap corner since you would not be using it once you received your bubble door material.
    - Gary
    S7 SuperSport Tri-gear
    w/Rotax 912, Oratex, Dynon

My bubble doors were dropshipped along with the windshield direct from LP Aeroplastics. They arrived via Fedex Freight. My box was bigger to accomodate the windshield, but just the doors would still be a rather large box. What I'm saying is the shipping cost will probably not be insignificant, even in relation to a $700 purchase. If you want the bubble doors, spend the $700. You're going to invest too much time an money in this project to finish and wish that you had bubble doors. Obviously if you take this approach on every option, it can get very expensive, but $700 really isn't much in relation to the project cost.

I actually wouldn’t mind having the spare lexan in my garage in case something happens to the bubble doors. It would give me a way to get flying until/if replacements are ordered.

I saw a comment about the fuel tank drain valves being different if the bubble doors are installed. Please tell me about that. If they are different, can I specify that I want those fuel tank drain valves sent with the kit instead of the standard drains?

Yes, you will want the "flush" wing drain valves that don't hang down and contact the bubble doors when opened. Just specify this option when you order the kit.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS