Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Transition Training Aircraft?

Default Transition Training Aircraft?

OK, possible plan B taking place here. I may not be able to transition to tailwheel aircraft in a Kitfox as I had planned. I am contemplating options now. Would anyone who has flown a Piper Cub care to share what they feel about the similarity between a Kitfox and a Cub may be? I suppose I could do a Decathalon locally as well If anyone cares to help me out with Plan B and suggest what airframe would be a decent crossover.
    Thanks
    Eddie

Default Re: Transition Training Aircraft?

I have time in super cubs and a Kitfox, but they are separated by enough time that I'm not sure I can give a good direct comparison. Overall, I'd say most of the motor skills will translate from the Cub to the Kitfox in terms of waking up your lazy feet. I will say that the heel brakes are a pretty major difference of the cub in terms of tailwheel transition. They aren't that tough to get used to, but it is a substantial difference.

I did my tail wheel endorsement in a 65hp Champ right before I did my first flight of my Kitfox IV. Not a cub, but I think you will find the main difference with the Kitfox is that it is much more responsive than a cub or anything like the Champ. Much quicker response time. Leaps off the ground. The sluggish Champ made me work hard with my feet and when I got in my Kitfox I thought it was much easier to control all around. Especially on the ground. You really have to be ahead of the rudder pedals on the Champ whereas the Kitfox always went where I wanted it to go exactly at the time I made control input.

Some will say a quicker responding plane can get you into trouble, but for me the slower responding plane was more likely to get me in trouble. The Kitfox was a breeze after wrangling with the Champ.

If you're looking for something more similar the Decathlon is definitely closer, but I did not feel ill prepared at all after learning on the Champ.

Flying a 150hp cub is like a kitfox in slow motion.Most cub pilots I have flying my 3 really struggle for the first hour,so a direct comparison would be unwise.
    Fwiw the cub heel brakes are my favourite ,they seem more "natural"

Fullerton should have a Citabria. I did my tailwheel transition in it and jumped to the Kitfox after 10 hours. But I highly recommend Paul L. from Stick and Rudder for Kitfox specific training.

Disclaimer: The only Kitfoxes I've flown are earlier models 3 & MkIV.

It is my understanding that the newer Kitfox models are heavier on the controls and with Grove Gear are less twitchy on the ground.
    My (semi) educated guess would be that a Cub or Citabria would be similar (bit heavier) to a later model Kitfox.

I can certainly confirm that if I throw Cub, Pawnee or Citabria only pilot in the MkIV (non grove gear) they usually struggle for a while on the ground.

Eddie, I did my t/w training on a Eurofox, which is about the same size as a Kitfox but I now fly a Decathlon because the Eurofox was sold. The Euro was light on controls and you could pull the power and do either a 3 pt or wheeler because of the good glide characteristics. With the Decathlon, for a 3 pt you have to almost fly it on and pull power back as you flare or keep low power on as you feel for the ground in a wheeler. So in essence, I think there’s difference enough for you to look for an aircraft of similar size and landing characteristics rather than just another t/w. Don’t know if that helps but just my input FWIW.
    David
    SS7 Builder

I did transition in a Decathlon. The instructor is far more important than the aircraft. Mine couldn't teach wheel landings so I basically taught myself later in the Kitfox. The Kitfox was easier to fly and land than the Decathlon, the only exciting surprise being the takeoff, which does happen much more abruptly. Not really a big deal if you plan for it.
    Guy Buchanan
    San Diego, CA
    Deceased K-IV 1200 / 912uls / 70" Warp 3cs

gebuchanan@cox.net

Quote Originally Posted by efwd View Post
    OK, possible plan B taking place here. I may not be able to transition to tailwheel aircraft in a Kitfox as I had planned. I am contemplating options now. Would anyone who has flown a Piper Cub care to share what they feel about the similarity between a Kitfox and a Cub may be? I suppose I could do a Decathalon locally as well If anyone cares to help me out with Plan B and suggest what airframe would be a decent crossover.
    Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie,
    Get in touch with Jim Byrd at Cable Airport. He does tail wheel endorsements in his Sport Cub. It will give you the experience to feel comfortable in your KitFox.

http://www.jim-byrd.com
    Michael Meyers
    KF IV
    Las Vegas, NV

Thank you all for the responses. As for Stick and Rudder, I am desperately trying to make that happen but I have only so many dates to attend a weeks worth of training to get back in after 25 years not flying. Paul and I just can't make it happen with all the flying in Alaska and Florida going on. He is very busy. Good for him, Im glad he is doing well. My only other vacation is Oshkosh so again, I know where He will be then as well. Im holding out for the possibility that He will get me scheduled closer to the days I need but if Im not able to fly with them I will need to use those vacation days to go elsewhere against my wishes. I expect my SS7 to fly this summer so I don't want to be held up from flying it because Im not current. In the end, I will be transitioned in something and then just before flying mine I will likely make a weekend trip for a full day of flying a Kitfox with Paul. Wish me luck at getting S&R and my schedules to align somehow.
    Eddie