Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Paint and stuff

Default Paint and stuff

What comes with the kit as far as poly fiber (how much), reducer, tape, brushes, silver paint (UV protectant). Does anyone have the list?

What type of hvlp sprayers have people used and where were they obtained?

Default Re: Paint and stuff

Here's what I remember comes with the kit:
    -enough fabric for the whole airplane
    -almost enough PolyTak glue for the whole project
    -almost enough PolyBrush fabric sealer for all the brushed coats, but you need to buy extra for all the sprayed coats.
    -you will need to buy the PolySpray UV protectant for all the sprayed coats.
    -you will need to buy all your final color coats and reducer.
    -enough reducer for all the brushed coats
    -enough tapes, ribstitch lacing, stitch reinforcing tape, stitching needle, for the whole project. I did buy a roll of 3" bias ply tape (glad I did).
    -you will need to buy all your brushes, MEK solvent, a high quality pinking shears (it comes if you buy the Kitfox tool kit), and heat shrink irons.

Its really a pretty complete kit up to the point you pick up a spray gun.
    I will let others speak to the HVLP equipment because I had someone else do the spraying for me.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I used a HVLP spray gun from Harbor Freight. I bought the set, one large gun and the touch up gun. They worked great. $60. I did use the most forgiving of the paints. Poly Tone. I doubt I would use this paint a second time. Works great on the fabric but I am seriously doubting the durability of this stuff on the fiberglass, plastic strut fairings and flapperons. I have noticed that it is really easy to scratch on those structures. I got a great look but I bet I will have to repaint those parts with something actually designed for those materials. Where I have had to do touch ups It blends beautifully just as it says it does in the documents.
    Eddie

I painted both of my tractors with a Harbor Frt HVLP gun that I spent 20 bucks on. Wasn’t sure if that would cut it with airplane paint.

Does aerothane do well on fiberglass? If so, does the aerothane series have matching poly tone colors?

Yes, Aerothatne works well on fiberglass and they have matching colors available. That is how I did my plane. Polytone for the fabric and Aerothane on the aluminum and fiberglass parts (wingtips, doors, cowlings, landing gear, inspection covers and panels).

When you get your paints make sure to get enough the first time. It is best to buy all of one type & color at the same to help make sure the color was mixed the same. Other wise you might have several unmatching shades of the same color. Another idea is to pour all of the cans of one color together in a big clean bucket, mix them together and put them back in the cans. That way you know everything will be the same shade. Ask me how I know . . . I bought some red from different places at different times.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Aerothane will have much more gloss to it as compared to poly-tone. On a warbird I finished in 2015 I used polytone on the fabric and on the metal, I used Aerothane with a flattener added.

Quote Originally Posted by efwd View Post
    I used a HVLP spray gun from Harbor Freight. I bought the set, one large gun and the touch up gun. They worked great. $60. I did use the most forgiving of the paints. Poly Tone. I doubt I would use this paint a second time. Works great on the fabric but I am seriously doubting the durability of this stuff on the fiberglass, plastic strut fairings and flapperons. I have noticed that it is really easy to scratch on those structures. I got a great look but I bet I will have to repaint those parts with something actually designed for those materials. Where I have had to do touch ups It blends beautifully just as it says it does in the documents.
    Eddie

You must have gone into Harbor Freight loaded! I used the $23 HVLP gun on my tractors. On a serious note: the spray guns I used were bottom hoppers. Do the top hoppers work better? Or are they the same?

I think I might go Poly Tone on the fabric with blush retarder, and Aerothane on the non-fabric. I plan on buying a repair kit and practicing as well as testing the above plan to see how it works. Not sure what the smallest quantity is on the paint is.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by jiott View Post
    Here's what I remember comes with the kit:
    -almost enough PolyTak glue for the whole project
    -almost enough PolyBrush fabric sealer for all the brushed coats, but you need to buy extra for all the sprayed coats.
    I did buy a roll of 3" bias ply tape (glad I did).
    -you will need to buy all your brushes, MEK solvent, a high quality pinking shears (it comes if you buy the Kitfox tool kit), and heat shrink irons.
    How much more PolyTak and PolyBrush did you buy? What was the 3” tape for? Where do most people buy brushes, MEK?
    Does John sell these items? I figure I would just pick up the extra stuff when I pick up the kit.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyboy66 View Post
    I think I might go Poly Tone on the fabric with blush retarder, and Aerothane on the non-fabric.
    Steve
    I'm not sure if this is what you're suggesting, but blush retarder does not make the Polytone glossier, it just prevents it from blushing if you're spraying in a high-humidity environment.

You can add flattener to the Aerothane to try to match the Polytone though.