Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wing rotation jigs

Default Wing rotation jigs

Today, I got past the research step and ordered a Kitfox. I have seen videos on YouTube of a jig that was attached to each end of the wing that allowed it to be rotated along its long axis. Do any of you use something like this? If so, can you post pictures of the stand/jig?

Default Re: Wing rotation jigs

I think nearly everyone builds these. It makes the wing work a whole bunch easier. Unfortunately I don't have a clear photo of one. Someone will certainly post one for you. I used small wheels that resemble a computer mouse ball. Use larger wheels. Rolling mine around is a bit of a pain when the wheel falls into the joint in the concrete floor of the garage.
    Eddie

If you look at Tom Waid's website he has pictures and dimensions. His website is tropicaltuba.com. I built mine similar to his and they work great.

Flyboy - you and I are in about the same stage (ordered mine just a week or so ago) and have/had the same question. Anyhow, Linda's husband (I can't find his name on the forum right now) posted drawings of his rotisserie on his website here: http://tropicaltuba.com/Kitfox%20Pro...g%20Rotisserie. Others I've talked to say to look into a PVC pipe solution but I haven't found one ......yet. Good luck.

Congratulations on the order!

It's funny there has not emerged a "standard" way of building the wing rotisseries. Here are mine. The spacing on the spars is 27.5". I built them before the kit arrived, and they work beautifully.

Congrats Steve and Darrell on your recent purchases. Enjoy your builds.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

aviator79 those are beautiful. I notice quite a sophisticated clamp mechanism at the pivot points on the vertical uprights. Just a suggestion to really simplify this area: just use a 1/4" or so carriage bolt with a large fender washer and a wing nut for this pivot joint. Loosen the wing nut to rotate and tighten it to clamp in place.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I used a couple of cheap engine stands from Harbor Freight. Used them for the fuselage too...
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Quote Originally Posted by jiott View Post
    Just a suggestion to really simplify this area: just use a 1/4" or so carriage bolt with a large fender washer and a wing nut for this pivot joint.
    It's really not that sophisticated, and when you're waiting for a kit, there is time to over-engineer. I thought about the carriage bolt you describe. I wasn't sure how well it would resist torque when drilling and what not. Maybe I thought too hard.

Thanks for the pictures and links! So, how much does a wing section weigh? What size PVC pipe is that. I am sure someone already has that in a post, but I just came in from stacking firewood and haven’t gone back through all of the responses. I am down to my last 143 days till it get here, and I want to be ready!