Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Building in a garage?

Default Building in a garage?

As a potential (hopeful?) Kitfox builder, a few questions about the building process:

• Can someone who’s done it share the experience of building in a two-car garage? Obviously, more space would be better, but is it unreasonable to consider a garage build?
    • What’s a ballpark figure for the cost of required tools if one is starting with nothing?

Default Re: Building in a garage?

If you are building a 2 car garage I would strongly recommend makIng it 24x24. The extra 4 feet really make a huge difference.

I just kind of collect tools as I go. You can get tools at cheaper places like harbour freight. You really just need a ratchet/wrench set, a drill, and screw drivers to get started plus a hand rivet squeezer. A small bench mount drill press would be very nice and you can get the. On sale for cheap sometimes. Tools you can spend a fortune on if you want but just to get started if you look for sales I think you can get all the that basic stuff for under 500. Oh a dremel is almost a required tool too
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Also, I built my plane in a 20x20garage
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Jeff,

As a person who built a Kitfox in a 1 1/2 car garage, I would affirm that it is entirely doable. Did the wing construction in the basement during the winter (yes, I measured the size of the hallway first to assure the completed wings would fit on the way out!)

I had a rather small garage entrance door (9 wide by 7 high) which necessitated fabricating a tail dolly so the prop would clear the door.

If you have a two car garage, I'd say you have luxury accomodations. One local kitfox builder completed his plane in a one car garage.

Not may of us have access to a 40 by 80 foot climate controlled pole building but that never stops us!

The best thing about building in the garage by your house is you can get to your plane every day. If you had to drive an hour each way to a hangar to build - that works against progress.

One photo attached as proof the kitfox emerged from the aforementioned garage.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

There is a step in the build where you have to bond the #1 rib on the wing with the wing attached to the airplane and let it cure overnight. My garage is 24 x 24, but i bet you could do it in a smaller garage. I managed by putting one wing out and swinging the other wing back, then rinse and repeat. I had plenty of room, but I still had the other wing swept back. If need be, you could take that wing off and save almost 4 feet of space.
    John Grueter
    N188LR
    Kenosha, WI
    Series 7 Super Sport - flying!

1. 2 car garage is for sure doable.

2. I built my own shop for the purpose of building the plane and did have the luxury of space. I built it 28x28. That size allowed me to rig both wings indoors at the same time with the wings on the diagonal of the shop.

3. Absolute necessity tool cost is minor in the scheme of an airplane project. (you can spend as much as you want and make things quicker, easier, prettier, etc) If you are into tools keep them. Some you will need for maintenance anyway.
    Maxwell Duke

Kitfox S6 IO-240 Built it (Flying since 2003)
    Maule M7-235C Sold it (liked it though)
    RV-10 IO-540 Bought it
    Zenith CH-750 Built with 7 friends (DAR Vic Syracuse)

First off, it appears to me that a two car garage is a pretty standard build area. It's not just possible, it's normal.

I am going to build (delivery in a few weeks!) In a large-ish one-car garage with a small attached workshop space. I have been reading over the manuals, and the step above where the #1 rib is bonded was the biggest sticking point. You could conceivably let this cure outside overnight, but not if it's very chilly out. I talked to John McBean about my concerns building in a small space and he was able to give some pointers and offer some options that will make it easier.

Those who have done this strongly favor doing as much as possible in a small space attached to your house, rather than in a large space further away. It's more important to have a comfortable space where it's easy to do a little work every day than it is to have a giant space to build. I actually own a hangar that's a 7 minute walk from my front door, but I still plan to do most of the build in my one-car garage. Hopefully I can document my build here so that anyone else who has limited space can learn from my experience. I'm sure I will trip across things I haven't thought of.

My general approach:
    -Put everything on wheels to facilitate moving things out of the way and reconfiguring the space as necessary.
    -The garage is becoming the airplane factory. I built a shed in the back yard to move everything into that isn't directly related to building a plane. I'm putting up temporary storage this weekend in a side yard for my motorcycle and the family's bikes.
    -Pay for as much work to be done as possible. (Quick build pre-rigged wings, pre-fab kit, etc.) Also, buy the right tools for the job. Turning money into finished parts will help assure success. These expenditures will add up, but still not be terrible significant compared the overall cost of the project. And the most expensive project is one you don't finish, so buy every advantage.
    -Commandeer other space in the house to store large items. I have a system in our game/play room where I can hoist the wings to the ceiling when they aren't being worked on.
    -As a last resort or when space gets too tight, move it to the hangar. However, I really don't anticipate having to do this until final assembly.
    -Promise my wife that when the project is done and in the hangar, I will spend any amount of money and time reconfiguring the house to any purpose she desires.

Thanks everyone! You've resolved every bit of my anxiety over build space. Now I just have to decide if I'm up to the task and take that first step!

Quote Originally Posted by JeffKinTX View Post
    Thanks everyone! You've resolved every bit of my anxiety over build space. Now I just have to decide if I'm up to the task and take that first step!
    I think the "big three" are time, money, and family support. If you have enough of these three things, then go to Boise, fly a Kitfox, see the factory, and write a check.

remember, to fly a kitfox = write a check.