Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nastiest part of building an aircraft

Default Nastiest part of building an aircraft

I'm sure RV folks would say ProSealing their tanks is the nastiest thing about building an aircraft. But for us Kitfoxers, I nominate cutting and sanding the plexiglass. I thought the bubble doors was a mess, but I just spent the afternoon cutting and sanding on the windscreen, and still not done. That fine powder gets everywhere! I need an assistant to keep a vacuum going right at the work point.
    - Gary
    S7 SuperSport Tri-gear
    w/Rotax 912, Oratex, Dynon

Default Re: Nastiest part of building an aircraft

crappy cowl...
    Jeff
    KF 5
    340KF

second that

Quote Originally Posted by jmodguy View Post
    crappy cowl...
    I agree... this goes along with Eddie's (EFWD Build) recent posts about his cowl also. A little more quality and care in manufacturing these parts would mean a lot, IMHO.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

I'm with you John. I was rather surprised at the poor quality of the cowlings when they arrived - I am no expert but I think in this day and age it would be possible form the cowls to be a lot more accurate fit than they are. Why they can't be close to a perfect fit I dont get.

cheers

r
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)

Trimming the doors and the bucket seats has been the crappiest work for me so far. My workshop looked like I was into making cocaine with white powder everywhere....
    David
    SS7 Builder

I believe the FAA 51% rule has part in how finished things are. As it turned out, I found the process of doing my cowl was pretty rewarding. Scary at first but members here have aided that quite well.
    Eddie

I agree with you Eddie on the "scary" part of doing the cowling. I really benefited from looking at Tom Waid's build photos to help conceptualize the details of how it should look in the end. (And I can deal with the fiberglass dust much better than the plexi fine grit.)
    - Gary
    S7 SuperSport Tri-gear
    w/Rotax 912, Oratex, Dynon

Both jobs are down the road a bit for me. I'm trying to keep my head down and plod along without stewing about them too much. My firewall forward kit arrived a couple of weeks ago. The quality of the cowls was disappointing at first glance. All part of the shared experience.

Eddie's thread has turned into a "How To" seminar with problems coming up and being resolved a few months before I come to the task.
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

I got off on a tangent a little, Gary, but I agree that cutting the Plexiglas can be a messy job... I got that crap in my hair, eyes, ears & every other nook & cranny in the vicinity. I think part of my problem was using the Dremel tool with the cut-off wheel. It seems as though I've had a cleaner time of it on previous acrylic cutting projects, using a larger (3 or 4") cut-off wheel chucked in a regular corded drill motor. The slower speed didn't seem to throw so much dust everywhere.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime